• Register Today It's free!

Springs and Torsion bar upgrades.

Nocturnall

Reaction score
City, State
Tempe, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Sport
I read the post about putting 86 F150 springs in the rear of the explorer and was wondering if I would have the same if not better result if I just bought them new and did the install, or would this cause a problem? I'd rather just buy them new and have them last much longer then getting them 20+ yrs old.

Also I was reading up about upgrading torsion bars and was wondering if my explorer would just handle horribly if I put the 1 or 2 stage bars in the front. I do not have a winch or brush gaurd. I would like to get a brush gaurd one day but probably will never get a winch for the front of the vehicle.

I'd like to lift my x a few inches but want the stronger rear springs for work, carry around a table saw, chop say, stands, and many hand tools all week. Also am looking to get into wheelin once I can get something done about my suspension and maybe some tires that aren't bald.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well on the new springs it all depends on how much they are going to cost. If they are really $$$ then you might as well go after something better while you are at it.

Whats a F150 spring maybe, 1500 pounds. Explorer springs are 1250. bigger springs will hurt you wheel travel. But if you are carring a lot of extra weight, then if may be a good idea.

I just want to get some lift in the back and solve the rear end sag that I have yet again after changing to the 4dr leak packs. I would really like to avoid spending the money for superlifts.

I swaped a junkyard set of rear springs (2-door). It brought the rear end up at least 2-inches.

Leaf packs, of my 91 Navajo parts truck. It had like 80 k, mine had 180k. I am guessing that a gen 1 spring will fit a gen 2 sport. I would check JC Whitney, or lmctrucks.com to try to cross reference the springs.

I did the F150 upgrade using brand new leaves from Eaton Springs. I chose new because I didn't know what I'd end up with from a junk yard. Plus I wanted them to last longer.

They are much stronger than the stock Explorer springs. I had 50 landscaping blocks (25# ea) stacked in the back behind the rear seats and it only compressed the suspension about a half inch. The truck drove and handled just fine with the load too.

Maybe a pair of slightly longer shackles will solve the problem?

How much did you end up having to pay for the new springs?

The F150 leaves were about $275 after tax. They are local to me, so no shipping.

you can use f150 springs in the front to gain a lift? or is that just for replacement?

and about the rear? same or no?

from what i'm reading, i want to say you can use the leafs from the back, and the springs from the front to replace them in an explorer. what i don't understand is this, do they add lift? or just standard height?

thanks

You have a 93, first gen, this is more to do with second gens. One option is to take the rear springs from a f150 and use that leaf pack in the rear of the second gens, have to swap the first leafs around. For the first gens I dunno if you can do the same thing or not, the first gens are very easy to lift just search around and I'm SURE you'll find all you need and more to gain the lift you seek. Doing this gives a little bit of lift, also makes it so you can carry more in the back of the x since the stock springs are weak.

Back