Sputters and dies when idle, coming to stop and occasionally at higher rpm's too | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sputters and dies when idle, coming to stop and occasionally at higher rpm's too

N_tater

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer 4wd xlt
2000 Explorer
4.0 V6
234,x.. miles

So here lies the issue, my engine has been a bit sputtery, i can start the engine no problem (i always pump the gas twice before i turn over, its cold a lot around here) and after a few seconds it start to sputter and wants to die, sometimes it does die and sometimes it wont start to sputter for a minute or two. When i get up to cruising speed its a lot better but still with the occasional sputter along the way. The issue isnt noticeable after ive been driving for a while, 30-40 minutes. Even the sputter during idle or coming to a stop is generally gone.
Ive checked transmission fluid and its full, and i dont think it has anything to do with the torque converter since this is still an issue even in park. Ive started doing research and so far have come up with a few different possibilities to look into but not sure where i should start as far as isolating the actual problem. ive read about low fuel pressure or fuel pump going out/ clogged, bad oxygen sensor or mass flow sensor, faulty idle air control actuator, clogged ERG valve. Im wondering what i should look at first to save time and headache, id like to check the most likely things first.
Thanks in advance.

Back