Squat After BTF Lift

QuesoGiraffe

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Limited AWD
Hi ExplorerForum,

I was finally able to put my BTF spacers and UCAs a few weeks ago. I've been anxious to get this done and replace my struts, but was helping my Dad swap a new engine into his 2013 Escape. I followed bampq6's excellent writeup here

How To: BTF-Fabrication Spacer Lift Install

and perused a few other posts as well. I ending up ordering new KYB strut assemblies from Rock Auto as well

Part #4SR4082SR4051

The lift finally went together after a whole weekend of work, lots of penetrating fluid, and quite a few bolt heads snapped off and stuck bushings. I opted for the highest leveling kit I could get, and ended up with a squat of almost 2" higher in the front. I was hoping this was partially due to alignment issue, but after getting an alignment, the squat was still there. After a few weeks of driving, it's settled out to about an 1 1/2" squat. I talked to Brandon from BTF Fan about a week ago to confirm the spacer dimensions, with the fronts being about 2" and the rears being about 1 1/2". This matches what I have in the Explorer, though Brandon did say a squat of maybe 1/2" is normal, depending on the engine. Unfortunately, I don't have any measurements pre lift, but some measurements post lift are
Front cross member ground clearance 14 3/4"
Rear differential ground clearance 11 1/2"
Centerline of front hub to fender opening 23 1/4"
Centerline of rear hub to fender opening 21 3/4"

I'm running Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws in a 265/70 R17 for reference.

Brandon offered to make me a set of 1 1/2" front spacers, which I'll pay for if I have no other option, but I figured I'd try here before spending that money (and having to get another alignment.)

I don't remember any squat before the lift, but I am running a matching a full size spare, and carry some essential fluids and whatnot in the trunk. After climbing under the vehicle, I did notice that the alignment shop hadn't touched the rear toe link. I could see that preventing the spring from extending all the way, but would think that would affect the toe as well. I still have the stock length sway bars, but am planning on following a similar process from what is discussed here

I can't imagine the sway bar is keeping the springs compressed though. haven't had a chance to compare the lengths of the strut assemblies to KYB's specifications, but they looked identical in size and shape to the old ones, but that's a possible avenue I can look into this weekend as well. Attached is a picture of my Explorer post lift, but I don't think it does it justice I'm really not into the squatted look Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for this sort of thing? Any help is greatly appreciated.

PXL_20220221_205426129.MP.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think the toe links in the rear will cause your truck to squat that much. In fact they shouldn't cause that at all. All they do is pull and push on the knuckle to adjust toe.

You are also right about sway bar links, they should not affect ride height.

The only thing I think that might cause this is the new struts. They might not have settled in completely yet. Drive on it for a while and if it still sits too high then get the smaller spacer.

I also want to share that have a similar lift set up using a different brand with the original struts for now (Supreme Suspensions, 3" front/1.5" rear) and same size tires but a different brand (Kenda Klever AT2). Mine does squat a little bit too but I don't have measurements right now. I can get them when I get home later.

I don't think the toe links in the rear will cause your truck to squat that much. In fact they shouldn't cause that at all. All they do is pull and push on the knuckle to adjust toe.

You are also right about sway bar links, they should not affect ride height.

The only thing I think that might cause this is the new struts. They might not have settled in completely yet. Drive on it for a while and if it still sits too high then get the smaller spacer.

I also want to share that have a similar lift set up using a different brand with the original struts for now (Supreme Suspensions, 3" front/1.5" rear) and same size tires but a different brand (Kenda Klever AT2). Mine does squat a little bit too but I don't have measurements right now. I can get them when I get home later.
Measurements would be great, thanks! That's kind of what I'm figuring as well; it was just way more extreme than I expected it to be. I was able to pull the rear apart yesterday and look over everything and couldn't find anything restrictive. The rear axles do just barely rub the frame at full droop, which seems in line with a lot of others. I had almost 2" of squat when I first installed the spacers, so I'm skeptical that I'll get that much more settling. It's been about a month and 1000 miles since I installed the lift (though it sat for a while of that because my catalytic converter got stolen -_-.) Looks like I'll wait and see!

Is that picture post lift? If so, it looks even to me. Roof looks flat, space between tire and fender look fairly even. I like it. Needs bigger tires, but that has nothing to do with the lift.
KYB struts always seem to be a little stiff and don't relax like OEM struts. I have put them on several vehicles and it's always the same. I had to align my Silverado after installation of KYB's because the front sits about 1/2" taller.

Is that picture post lift? If so, it looks even to me. Roof looks flat, space between tire and fender look fairly even. I like it. Needs bigger tires, but that has nothing to do with the lift.
KYB struts always seem to be a little stiff and don't relax like OEM struts. I have put them on several vehicles and it's always the same. I had to align my Silverado after installation of KYB's because the front sits about 1/2" taller.
That is post lift, yes. I think the slope of the parking lot is a little deceiving; I've attached another picture that may be more clear. I'd love bigger tires eventually, but that'll have to wait until I can build a swing out bumper to fit a larger spare. That lines up with what I've read about KYB struts from other threads. At this point in just going to wait a little longer to see if it settles out more and try to follow up then.

PXL_20220207_214100816.jpg

Hey man. Got some measurements for you.

Ground to front cross member: 13 5/8"
Ground to rear diff: 12 13/16"
Center of front hub to top of fender: 23 1/4"
Center of rear hub to top of fender: 22 3/8"

Also did ground to top of fender on front and rear.

Front is 38 1/4"
Rear is 37 3/8"

I have about .8 difference at the last two measurements. There's about .8 difference at the cross member and rear diff. I have about .86 at the fenders. So I'd say the rear is about .8 lower. With that in mind my guess is your struts are causing you bigger difference. I'm running the original struts that have 79k miles on mine.

I also attached a pic of what my truck looks like. I think the parking lot is not level though since my truck looks slightly raked to the rear in most situations.

PXL_20220227_104729132_1.jpg

If I'm not mistaken the truck comes from the factory with front end rake.

Rangers did for sure.

whenever i saw em it appeared so, but not a hyge rake. wish my 2nd gen was nore like that, we have rear sag!!! welcome to the rear sag club! kidding! v6 or 8? 2 or 4wd? naybe the spring isnt quite matched and a bit too stiff? whas the rate on it?

Mine is a v6 so not alot weight in front, plus i had to chop off front end and replace from a tree falling on my hood driving down the road.

Back