• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Squeak coming from engine

MDmounty

Reaction score
City, State
Preston, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty V8
I've got a squeak coming from the engine and I'm not sure what it is. At first I thought it was the camshaft Synch so I poured some oil into it and the problem continued. So I stuck my head in the engine bay with it running and the sound seems to be coming from behind my power steering pump. I listened to the pulley side of it then the back side (towards the cabin) and it seemed to be coming from that side.
The squeak isn't a high pitched chirp it's got a more solid sound to it if that makes any sense
Thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Turdle

Habla tortuga
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
If you haven't already tried this, get a spray bottle filled with water. while the engine is running and squeaking, spray a tiny bit of water on the belt and see if the sound changes.
If not, spray the power steering pump pulley from behind-see if that changes the sound.

MDmounty

Reaction score
City, State
Preston, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty V8
I sprayed some water on the belt and behind the pulley and the sound didn't change either time I'm leaning towards a worn out power steering pump

MDmounty

Reaction score
City, State
Preston, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty V8
Update: it's not a power steering pump I put a new one in and the problem didn't change

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
Pull the belt and start it up to confirm it is an accessory. Only let it run for a short time cause the water pump isn't turning. Usually when my car gets that squeak noise it ends up being an idler pulley or the tensioner.

MDmounty

Reaction score
City, State
Preston, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty V8
Thanks I found out it is another bad camshaft Synch after taking my belt off. I just put one in about 6000 miles ago too

VR4

Reaction score
City, State
vancouver, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 explorer
Use a motorcraft. I've never had good luck with the aftermarket ones.