• Register Today It's free!

Squeak coming from engine

MDmounty

Reaction score
City, State
Preston, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty V8
I've got a squeak coming from the engine and I'm not sure what it is. At first I thought it was the camshaft Synch so I poured some oil into it and the problem continued. So I stuck my head in the engine bay with it running and the sound seems to be coming from behind my power steering pump. I listened to the pulley side of it then the back side (towards the cabin) and it seemed to be coming from that side.
The squeak isn't a high pitched chirp it's got a more solid sound to it if that makes any sense
Thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you haven't already tried this, get a spray bottle filled with water. while the engine is running and squeaking, spray a tiny bit of water on the belt and see if the sound changes.
If not, spray the power steering pump pulley from behind-see if that changes the sound.

I sprayed some water on the belt and behind the pulley and the sound didn't change either time I'm leaning towards a worn out power steering pump

Update: it's not a power steering pump I put a new one in and the problem didn't change

Pull the belt and start it up to confirm it is an accessory. Only let it run for a short time cause the water pump isn't turning. Usually when my car gets that squeak noise it ends up being an idler pulley or the tensioner.

Thanks I found out it is another bad camshaft Synch after taking my belt off. I just put one in about 6000 miles ago too

Use a motorcraft. I've never had good luck with the aftermarket ones.

Back