Squeak from center console; 2001 Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squeak from center console; 2001 Explorer Sport

F15E_WSO

Reaction score
City, State
Washington DC area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT; 2001 Exp Sport
There is a very annoying squeak coming from the center console passenger side front of our 2001 Explorer sport.

We tried to remove this thing months ago and had no luck, we took off the storage box, removed the bolts at the back and got most of it loose or free but could not get the thing out. There are no bolts under the rubber mats in the cup holder or front storage.

http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/view.sfly?fid=f3982b633d58ec5d2f762628e38c6d8e#1293826141675

The link above will take you to photos of the area. The squeak is coming from just above the accessory power plug pictured, when we jam something in the seam/gap just above it quiets the squeak, we tried some felt pads that go under a chair leg to protect a floor for example but that didn't work. You can see the two pads.

I'd like to get the grey piece removed to get to the squeak and to paint it black as well with Fusion.

I looked at 2-3 "console" thread here and am still uncertain on how to proceed. I reviewed Turdle's and RedNeckex's and their consoles are in two pieces where mine is just one long one. Can I pull HARD on the silver plastic and it will lift out? When we tried removing all the bolts and such we got lots of stuff loose but not the main body out. I did NOT use the hammer method shown in turdle's, I did not know of it then.

I need some 20/20 hindsight from someone who has done one similar, any help would be appreciated. I want the squeak gone and I think it will look great black to match the exterior tupperware we painted in September.

Can't view the photos without joining up. I'm assuming you have the full length console from your description. You have to push in on the sides of the gray cupholder to get it off.

High Series Console R&R That Step #6 is tough. I beat mine until I thought I would destroy it before I got it to move. Hopefully you're not removing the whole console.

ConsoleExplvsTrac4.jpg

If you want more photos PM me your email address and I'll send them. There are more of them than I care to host & post.

Thanks

NCRanchero,
thanks for the help, the PDF file is very helpful, I'll tackle it this morning....

Pulled tray to expose center console, tightened a tiny screw/bolt in rt front of console, near passengers feet area, that should take care of the squeak.

Repainted the console and radio bezel black. Post pics in stand alone thread.

Thanks again NCranchero for the help on removal.

Back