Squeak/Grinding question

dmasini

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
I've noticed a squeaky/grinding sound coming from the X lately. At first I thought it might be the front brakes and rotors I just replaced myself. But the sound is there whether I have my foot on the brakes or not. Could this just be a pad not seperating from the rotor fully? Any ideas of what else it could be? Thanks for any help!

i some times have the same kind of noise, when i start to go from a complete stop i sometimes have a squeaking noise until i get up to 12-15 mph but then it goes away, makes me think it the pad not seperating for the rotor too

dmasini said:
I've noticed a squeaky/grinding sound coming from the X lately. At first I thought it might be the front brakes and rotors I just replaced myself. But the sound is there whether I have my foot on the brakes or not. Could this just be a pad not seperating from the rotor fully? Any ideas of what else it could be? Thanks for any help!

If you have worn through one of the brake pads and the rivets are in contact with the rotor, you will hear a grinding noise at low speed whether you have your foot on the brake pedal or not. Trust me, I just did this recently on the LH rear pads.

Attachments

• grooved rotor.jpg
    grooved rotor.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 225

If it's not related to your suspension, check your wheel bearings. How many miles?

Back