Squeaking after war153 install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squeaking after war153 install

drolls

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer awd 5.0
Developed a really annoying rear end squeak after doing shackles. At first I thought it was the leaf springs but after further examination I think it's coming from rear sway bar links. Anyone else have this issue? Added stress from longer shackles causing the bushings to squeak?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's not added stress.

Have the bushings been changed?

If not, then that should be an upcoming project.

Until then, spray some lube on them, it works, I should know.

What really works well is SeaFoam Deep Creep.

MT

The sway bar frame bushings are also known to squeak when worn or dry. Spray penetrant or water on one
part at a time to pinpoint the noise. Here's a poly kit that includes all bushings, hardware, and special lubricant.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/4.5153

After spraying nearly everything in the rear of the vehicle, I finally isolated the problem. Bushings on the traction bars on both sides. Hawaii, does that energy sway bar bushing kit work? I thought I read some posts saying they don't fit. Thanks guys

Traction bars? You mean sway bar frame bushings mounted on the axle or the end link bushings? Either way, the ES 4.5153 kit will work and is still listed in the Explorer Express catalog. I believe you are confusing the ES universal greasable sway bar brackets with bushings that doesn't have wide enough bolt spacing to work. If you order the kit, torching out the old end link bushings will save you a lot of time. Just make sure you're outside with a bucket of water.

http://explorerexpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=19

No, traction bars man. I think some of the 5.0's have them. Attaches to the frame in front of the the rear tires, runs back and bolts to the rear axle.

Oops. For the privileged that have a 5.0L V8 and a better tranny. ;)

Biggest mistake Ford made with the Gen 1 ST was not offering it. :(

It was the last thing I checked. I don't see a single thread on this forum about them and this forum has EVERYTHING. so I'm guessing they put them on very few vehicles or the things never squeak and I'm the lucky winner.

Thanks man, I bet that climate down there is real easy on the suspension components lol

True, but Hawaii's climate comes with a price. :eek: LOL

Back