Squeaking belt wont stop.

AKbrener

Reaction score
City, State
Dickinson, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Eddie Bauer
**FIXED** see my last post.

Not sure whats going on, but we bought our truck in september and the belt started squeaking about 2 weeks after we bought it. I went and replaced it with a new one and the squeaks went away up until about 2 weeks ago, lived with it until today when i had time to get to the store for a new belt, tensioner, and idler pulley.

tensioner was shot! sounded like the bearings were little rocks bouncing around. The idler pulley was fine, spun freely, but noticed that it wasnt completely smooth so was replaced. the old belt had a wear line on the smooth side and about 6" tear in one spot.

10 miles after putting all the new parts on: SQUEAK, Squeak!

it does not have any rythm, does not follow rpms, it just squeaks and chirps randomly... if you give it gas it will squeak but will not change speed or volume with RPM, just a constant chirp.

is this a belt issue still? everything looks like its tracking straight, might have a small wobble in the harmonic balancer,

the tensioner is straight, seems to really move alot though, like its always trying to keep things tight. Common for the 4.0?

input on this would be great, other common sources for the squeaks?
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try spraying some brake cleaner on the inside of the belt. I had to do it repeatedly til the squeal and squeak on mine went away... there might just be a build up of crud on it.

is your A/C on? with it on defrost too the a/c will kick on.

I had a problem when the a/c compressor engaged it squeeked. More like a "chirp".
I had some rubber build up on the pulleys(long story short, shop goofed up putting the belt back on when the water pump crapped out at 25k miles).

Still had the chirp after cleaning the pullies. My tensioner pulley was shot too, but you can get just the pulley for 20$ . The tensioner still held good tension, just the pulley was noisy.

Also, I just added a gatorback belt and my Chirp isnt there anymore ;)

Good luck

put your finger in the middle of the damper, is is lose?

i got a feeling the damper is busted and slipping giving you a squeek

I have a dumb question. Is it a Motorcraft part? I ask because I tried an aftermarket one, Goodyear I think, and it didn't fit right and I got some weird sounds out of it. I ended up replacing it with a Motorcraft part and it went away.

my second thought echos jakedrew, is it the A/C compressor kicking on and causing the belt to locally momentarily "change speed" while the compressor kicks on?

well it looks like the harmonic balancer is at fault, started poking around at everything and i am starting to get a little bit of in/out movement on the outer part of the balancer. has not fully separated but is really sloppy. Will be getting a new one monday.

Actually looks as if Ford has the best deal on a legit part. autozone wants $219 for a replacement H.B, ford dealer said 168 for a ford part, not a dorman or OE solution junk.

after searching i cant believe how many people have had this issue, its another one of those stupid issues that are common, that should not be happeninh

I'm glad you found the problem. I was going to recommend to check the harmonic balancer. Same thing happened to my wife while I was deployed....except she didn't think to have it fixed. And as a result the HB came apart and took out the A/C line and the transmission oil cooler. Needless to say, a very expensive repair. Fix it asap or there could be collateral damage.

h

I had a very similar problem and after 5 different belts (including 2 from napa and 3 from a ford dealer all using my vin #) I finally got my hands on a "GATOR BACK" belt. They are thicker and have a cross hatched pattern on the inside of the belt. They are design for generators where they help take out some of them vibrations and similar noises. I installed it a year ago and have not had one sing squeak since. Now you may have to buy a couple to get the right size but if your parts guy is worth a darn maybe not. I would recommend not going with the shortest or longest but one in the middle leangth. Good luck

I too have had great luck with Gatorback belts. Not only are they tough as hell, they are the quietest belt you can buy. I even put one on my old BMW and it made a significant difference with engine noise.

I have used gatorbacks before, they are good belts, but I dont think any belt will stay quiet if the harmonic balancer pulley is moving back and forth.

Where do they sell those now? all the parts stores around me have pulled them from the shelves.

I have used gatorbacks before, they are good belts, but I dont think any belt will stay quiet if the harmonic balancer pulley is moving back and forth.

Where do they sell those now? all the parts stores around me have pulled them from the shelves.

I have noticed that too....I can't find Gatorbacks anywhere locally. Strange :eek:

rockauto.com is where i got mine.

I've heard that people have trouble getting the correct size. Did you have any issues getting the correct size from rockauto?

I've heard that people have trouble getting the correct size. Did you have any issues getting the correct size from rockauto?

RockAuto has two different Goodyear belts listed for the V8, but both are the same size according to spec. One is $12 and one is $24 though :scratch:

RockAuto has two different Goodyear belts listed for the V8, but both are the same size according to spec. One is $12 and one is $24 though :scratch:

Thanks for the info. I have the V6. I'll have to check in to it.

try spraying some brake cleaner on the inside of the belt. I had to do it repeatedly til the squeal and squeak on mine went away... there might just be a build up of crud on it.

You should stick to using belt dressing to spray the belt. ;)

I thought brake cleaner eats into rubber?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

brake cleaner will make it squeak 100000x worst.

belt dressing does work tho.

Back