Squeaking noise from belts or pulleys... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squeaking noise from belts or pulleys...

forgot to clear one quick thing up. so the harmonic balancer (pulley) is the one that spins off the crank speed?

Not sure what you are saying, but, the damper/crank pulley attachés to the crankshaft.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is the damper/crank the same as the harmonic balancer

ok cool.. so can i from now on refer to the crankshaft pulley. as the crank pulley, the main pulley, the hamronic balancer, AND the dampener?!

i kno this sounds stupid but i am STILL learning

yes...

it's no big deal 80% of mechanical work is knowing the terminology, the rest is just dumb like and a little skill :)

just a quick touch on what i had said earlier. brand new alt. installed and squeak still exists. i am not one of the lucky ones

happy modding
-dora

Belt on my wife's 2004 Explorer 6-cyl started squeaking at 46k miles. Belt "looks" OK, so I used some belt dressing last weekend. Everything was good for a while, now the noise is back. I am in the middle of replacing the belt itself - easy enough, but wanted to post a pic for others to comment on. While the old belt is off, I hand-checked all of the pulleys - they spin freely, so not likely a pulley/bearing issue. There is some "rubbery build-up" (or could be wear) on the main engine pulley that drives the belt. Is this wear normal? Should this pulley be replaced? How difficult is this?

ExplorerBelt003.jpg
hi guys
this is my first post
im a professional mechanic for the phone company. this happened to me this week with my 04 xlt with 74000 miles suddenly. the pulley broke loose from the damper. it is junk.No odd noises or vibrations from the engine other than the slipping belt. ford does have special pulling and install tools, not cheap.
i used a steering wheel puller with the metric bollts . i loosened bolt then pressed off pulley slightly . i had to remove puller loosen bolt and then repull damper till it finally came off several times. install was fairly easy , tap on lining up key way then pulling in and torquing bolt
i replaced my harmonic balancer with one from dorman 594-111 and motorcraft crank sensor dy1061. they cost me 61.87 and 17.94 respectively.dorman makes the "help" or motormite brands you might see in parts stores. you definetly shouldn't run the truck like this, besides taking out the crank sensor, you could also damage the a/c hose too and end up in a no run position . you look like you have what they refer too as the "late build damper". the dorman one is the "early build".it is supposed to stop this problem as it reingeneered
it fit fine with no problem. it is listed as the replacement. since it does not have the cover piece it is easier to install too i found
the only hard part is to get the damn crank bolt loose!!!!!!! busted knuckes, few beers it came loose
i had to do this by hand with no air tools at home in the driveway, couldnt get it to the shop
hope this imformation helps as the pic above helped me diagnose my truck . i was pulling the hair out of my head trying to figure out what happened. thanks for the pic and the great imfo from all you guys
thanks phil

Mine rides on the grooved part. In fact, mine doesn't have the part shown on the front of yours.

The pictures are both the stock and the underdrive dampar/pulley.
this what the dorman 594-111 part will look like

Belt on my wife's 2004 Explorer 6-cyl started squeaking at 46k miles. Belt "looks" OK, so I used some belt dressing last weekend. Everything was good for a while, now the noise is back. I am in the middle of replacing the belt itself - easy enough, but wanted to post a pic for others to comment on. While the old belt is off, I hand-checked all of the pulleys - they spin freely, so not likely a pulley/bearing issue. There is some "rubbery build-up" (or could be wear) on the main engine pulley that drives the belt. Is this wear normal? Should this pulley be replaced? How difficult is this?

ExplorerBelt003.jpg

Hi --
I am new here - I came looking for some information to learn about what is going on with my truck and found out that this picture looks exactly like what my truck is right now. I had no idea anything was wrong until it started squealing horrifically!! Is the harmonic balance difficult to change for a novice? Or should I take it somewhere? Any suggestions as to what kind of a place to go to and what I should request to have done and not done? My daughter had taken it in to Sears for an oil change and tire rotation earlier in the week. They told her the squeal was nothing and said the belt was just fine. I would have thought they would have noticed it then? Someone came over today and we were looking under the hood and listening to the squeal and he saw it. He had never seen anything like it before. I have never worked on our truck before -- only on our focus. Is this something I need to take in somewhere?
thanks.
tina

hi tina

i am a mechanic by trade. i was shocked to see that failure on my truck. i woulnt advise driving it as it could do more damage.you could end up in a no run situation if the crank sensor is dstroyed.it would be wise to bring to a mechanic or local garage. you could get a quote also from your ford dealer if you do not have mechanic skills. if you do you could save some bucks. i listed my repair procedure above. i forgot to mention i removed half the fan shroud and fan for easier access too. you will need a special fan tool for that too.you can buy the factory ford part or buy the aftermarket dorman part. it will work fine on your truck. i would replace the harmonic balancer , bolt and crank sensor. check your a/c hose for damage also. it would also be a good idea to put a fresh belt and tensioner too. hope this imfo helps. to me the hardest part was getting the old crank bolt loose, you have to keep the engine from turning. some help from a friend while cracking the bolt loose will save some some sore knuckles and bruised pride. if i can be of any more help feel free to ask. good luck and God bless
phil :D

I have a '98 Ranger that is doing the same thing, a new belt was put on not too long ago. It sounds like the AC unit. Did you fix your problem?

yes replacing the harmonic balancer / crank sensor solved it. also a few months later engine blew due to timing chain.

Harmonic balancer

It prompt PULLEY - CRANKSHAFT 3L2Z-6B321-AA and DORMAN HARMONIC BALANCERS 594-111 is analogues?

You guys rock.

I actually google image searched "Explorer Pulleys" while trying to solve a squealing problem and the picture above led me to this thread. I put on a fresh belt, as the noise started with the first good freeze here. Thought it was just slack from the difference in temperature. I thought it odd also, that the belt wasn't riding in the "grooved" portion of the pulley.

Thank you, Ford, for your high quality parts!

Soooo.... anyone have a used (but in good condition) pulley they'd be willing to sell me? It's going on an '04 4.0.

PM me if you have one.

THANK YOU!

Would a Squeaky loose belt cause slow acceleration or rough idle???

I am having the squeaking problem too on my '07 Sport Trac. Thank goodness I found this thread. My Harmonic Balancer, or which ever of the few terms you prefer, looks exactly like the picture and is what drew me to this post. I'll follow the repair recommendations! Thanks everyone for the input.

Just finished changing the harmonic balancer and crank position senser on my wifes 04 xlt. This site ,and this thread helped me out a bunch. The belt started squeaking on her and ,being busy as a bee, i didnt really get a chance to check it out.3 days later it quit running on her way to work. The crank senser had been severly damaged and quit working.I bought my parts at napa and used the doorman part # listed above ,as my local ford dealer had one on back order, and didnt know when they would have one. my parts cost was 88 usd for the balancer 16 usd for the crank senser and 7 usd for a new balancer bolt at the local ford dealer. The whole time to completion was around 10 hours, in the driveway in on, and, off rain showers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh and by the way, the easiest way to get the balancer bolt loose is to put the breaker bar against the frame, and pop the starter. Mine popped loose and, i backed it the rest of the way with my fingers . check out this thread for more info. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2452688

Back