Squeaky Belt in '02 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squeaky Belt in '02 explorer

'02explorer

Reaction score
So I've been having issues with a screeching/squeaking/chirp from my pulleys or belt since I've owned the car. The one thing I've noticed is that when I replace the belt, the noise goes away but will eventually return once the belt wears a little. I've had the tensioner pulley, idler pulley and the bracket that holds the idler pulley replaced by Ford and they can't figure it out. So instead of wasting more money for them to tell me they can't fix it, I was hoping someone on here could give me some advice or has dealt with this same problem before.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I've been having issues with a screeching/squeaking/chirp from my pulleys or belt since I've owned the car. The one thing I've noticed is that when I replace the belt, the noise goes away but will eventually return once the belt wears a little. I've had the tensioner pulley, idler pulley and the bracket that holds the idler pulley replaced by Ford and they can't figure it out. So instead of wasting more money for them to tell me they can't fix it, I was hoping someone on here could give me some advice or has dealt with this same problem before.
Thanks

Since you know changing the belt eliminated the squealing/chirping noise for a brief time, and had some of the pulleys replaced, you may want to try a different belt than the one you used. Some in here recommend the "Goodyear Gatorback" serpentine belt and have said it has eliminated belt squeal for them. You may also want to check and make sure nothing is leaking down on to your belt. If the belt gets wet, it will slip and squeal.

Since you know changing the belt eliminated the squealing/chirping noise for a brief time, and had some of the pulleys replaced, you may want to try a different belt than the one you used. Some in here recommend the "Goodyear Gatorback" serpentine belt and have said it has eliminated belt squeal for them. You may also want to check and make sure nothing is leaking down on to your belt. If the belt gets wet, it will slip and squeal.

Sounds good. I just put a new belt on for temporary relief but once the noise comes back I'll be sure to try that belt. As far as anything dripping on the belt, I dont believe that to be happening. Thanks

Sounds good. I just put a new belt on for temporary relief but once the noise comes back I'll be sure to try that belt. As far as anything dripping on the belt, I dont believe that to be happening. Thanks

If all else fails you can try using some "belt dressing" that comes in a spray can. It's suppose to eliminate belt squeal. You spray it on the "ribbed side" of the belt and follow the directions on the can on how and where to apply it.

I have the same issue,. I will chime in when I get it fixed. It doesn't squeak when it is warm out, but it does when it is cold and wet.

New belt didn't squeak for a little while then it came back. If I spray pledge on it, it stops for a little while.

Interesting, most forums I've read DON'T recommend using dressing on serpentine belts.
Any chance of the alternator, water pump, or power steering pump causing the squeak?

It wasn't my personal recommendation to use belt dressing, it was just an idea to try "if all else fails". Trying to come up with a cheaper solution since he spent money at Ford with no success. I also said it's "suppose" to eliminate belt squeals, not a garuantee from me that it would. On the alt, water pump or power steering pump causing the squeak I ruled those out from his OP, since he stated he had the vehicle looked at by a Ford dealership, and we all know how they(Ford) would have loved to take his money by replacing one of those components as the problem, and even they couldn't find the source of the squeal/squeak. Ford doesn't like to turn easy money away. He also said when he changed to a new belt, the noise went away for a short time till that belt wore a little. My original thought was, buy and try the better belt(Goodyear Gatorback). Interesting stuff on the links you supplied and I knew about the gummy nature of belt dressing that is why I told him to follow the directions on the spray can on how and where to apply it. You wouldn't want to over spray that stuff on any other parts. Thanks for the links!

The chirp is normally caused by the a/c compressor engaging. I think they can do something with the clutch $$$ to make it go away, but normally the gatorback belt will solve the problem. rockauto.com had them really cheap when I bought mine. Also, I know you changed your idler and other pulley, which is a good idea, that will amplify the problem with the compressor if they put any extra drag on the system. My idler pulley was wobbling some so I changed it when I changed my belt. Hasn't squeaked since I done it.

I have used belt dressing on all kinds of serpentine belt engines without issue. I would use it as a starting point of diagnosing a noisy belt. If it resolved the issue for awhile, I would know to change the belt. If not, I would investigate which pulley was the culprit.

As another poster said above, I had this issue on my first 3rd Gen (2003) with the 4.0L It ended up being the A/C pulley. Took some time to pinpoint the source of the noise, and I also replaced the belt with the Gatorback as suggested above. This was on an Ex with 130k+ miles which is when it started making that noise. Belt dressing didn't help because it was the pulley itself so I had to replace the entire A/C compressor with the clutch/pulley assembly attached. Not sure if they came separately, but with the miles on the truck and living in a climate that required A/C 8-9 months out of the year I just had the entire unit replaced.

Spray a little WD40 on both sides of the belt. It will break up any glaze on the belt or pulleys that may be creating the slippage that causes the squeaking noise.
(Note: WD40 is NOT a lubricant)

I have had the same issue with my 2005 Explorer XLT since 37,000 miles. It only really squeals when it is cold. If I turn on my rear defrost when it's cold, it will squeal. It will also squeal if its cold out and i am running my font defrost and roll the windows down. I had it to the place I bought it about 7 times and surprisingly they never heard it squeal once even though it did it for me every day. They said they replaced the belt and looked over everything else to ensure proper function. I replaced my alternator which seemed like it fixed the issue for awhile but it came back. My fix s when it starts to squeal, I just turn off the heater and it stops. It has now been 4 years and it still does it.

My fix s when it starts to squeal, I just turn off the heater and it stops. It has now been 4 years and it still does it.

When you have the heater running and the belt is squealing, are you using the windshield defroster or bi-level defroster setting? If you are using the defroster settings, either one, this setting also turns on your AC compressor even though you are on a heat setting as well, and supposedly the AC helps clear the windshield faster of fog because it is a drier air flow. Your squealing problem may be coming from your AC compressor or it's pulley bearings. When the weather is warm enough to run your AC, turn on the AC only and see if the squealing belt noise comes back. If it does, you found the source of your squealing noise. Also, I found that using the "floor only" dash vent heat setting turns off the AC compressor from running and that is how I want it to run anyway. I also get plenty of air flow to the windshield while on this setting which gives me a 2 prong benefit, my legs are warm and the windshield is clear, but I think getting air flow to the windshield while on the floor only setting is a glitch in my dash vent selector, but I'm not worried about it, it does what I want it to do.

Back