Squeaky Front end on 2001 Ford Ranger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squeaky Front end on 2001 Ford Ranger

alangor

Reaction score
City, State
Shelbyville, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Ranger
I have a 2001 Ford Ranger and everytime I hit a bump, the right front squeaks like an old rusty bedspring. I tried to spray white grease the best that I could around the various bushings, but it still squeaks. Is this maybe a sign that the ball joints or something else is wrong and need attention? Any help from all of you will be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome To The Forum! It sounds like your ball joints. I would jack the front end of the truck up and put a pry bar under and lift under the tire. Have someone do that while you watch the actions of the ball joints to see if they have a tremendous amount of play.

bounce on the front bumper alittle. if it squeaks like a **** its probably the ball joints.

Ball joints don't last very long on later model Rangers. I replaced the joints on my '00 at around 80,00 mi, and now they're getting bad again at 142,000 mi, so I should probably replace them again.
It annoys that there are no grease fittings for suspension components on most newer vehicles.

But having said all that, sway bar bushings can also be a source of squeaks.

Sqeaky font end on 2001 Ford Ranger

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger and everytime I hit a bump, the right front squeaks like an old rusty bedspring. I tried to spray white grease the best that I could around the various bushings, but it still squeaks. Is this maybe a sign that the ball joints or something else is wrong and need attention? Any help from all of you will be greatly appreciated.

Well, that's part of what the problem is folks. Just had the truck at the Shop
and all 4 of them are bad, especially the lower ones. I also have a steering rod end going bad. This troubles me. The truck only has 46,000 original miles on it and those things are going out in it already, and I've never had it
Off Road, except maybe backing through my yard to a shadetree so I could
wax it. Anyone else having these issues early on?

I can't believe that you only have that many miles on it and they've gone bad already...but anyway they aren't anything complicating to replace if you have ratchet and sockets. And a hammer helps.

...but anyway they aren't anything complicating to replace if you have ratchet and sockets. And a hammer helps.
Although it certainly can be done, I replaced the ball joints on my A-arm Ranger ('98 and up), and it was quite the ordeal. Other A-arm Ranger owners have said the same thing after replacing the ball joints in their vehicles.

Well, that's part of what the problem is folks. Just had the truck at the Shop
and all 4 of them are bad, especially the lower ones. I also have a steering rod end going bad. This troubles me. The truck only has 46,000 original miles on it and those things are going out in it already, and I've never had it
Off Road, except maybe backing through my yard to a shadetree so I could
wax it. Anyone else having these issues early on?

Use MOOG parts to replace everything. They will last alot longer than the stock units and are greaseable. You will pay more for them, but you get what you pay for.

Squeaky 2001 Ford Ranger front end

Although it certainly can be done, I replaced the ball joints on my A-arm Ranger ('98 and up), and it was quite the ordeal. Other A-arm Ranger owners have said the same thing after replacing the ball joints in their vehicles.

Glen 4x4,
yep, only that few of miles and the dang thing's coming apart on me. Some
days I wished I still owned by old 71' Chevelle Wagon, but then again, it's hard to beat a FORD. My ball joints will be done in a Shop because they're
rivotted on and I just don't feel like tinkering with it anymore. The last major job I did on it was replacing the intake manifold gasket, and that was enough for me. The thing's falling apart right before my eyes, mechanically that is.
The body and interior is flawless, but that's right up my line of work as a
Professional Auto Detailer. I plan to drive this thing until it cannot be driven any longer.

Use MOOG parts to replace everything. They will last alot longer than the stock units and are greaseable. You will pay more for them, but you get what you pay for.
Have you got a part number for Moog greasable lower ball joints for Rangers? When I put new ball joints in my truck I was able to find upper ball joints with grease fittings, but not lowers.

My ball joints will be done in a Shop because they're
rivotted on and I just don't feel like tinkering with it anymore.
If I recall correctly the lower ball joints are retained by a snap ring, and the uppers are pressed in. Although the upper ball joints can be pressed out of the A-arms and replaced with new ones, some parts stores only sell new upper A-arms with the ball joints already mounted, and in fact it took me a bit of digging before I could come up with replacement ball joints for my existing A-arms. Even with a hydraulic press pressing the ball joints out of my A-arms was a major hassle, and I also had trouble getting the grease boots seated, so if I had to do it over again I would spend the extra money and buy the upper A-arms with the ball joints already installed.

Both the upper and and lower ball joints appear to be rubber sealed and without grease fittings on my 2001 Ranger. The lower joints are easy to get to with spray lubricant once the seal breaks and they will immediately shut up! I used my John Deere multipurpose lubricant. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts. I will update.

Back