• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Squealing Noise When Wet, Belt?

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
Yes. But, changing belts as often as oil is abnormal and has to have a root cause separate from normal wear and tear.
Try the belt that blwnsmoke mentioned and then go from there. It seems everything has 'guesswork' up to now anyway.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Sparkn

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
I entirely agree. If it works, case closed. I did buy the Napa branded belt today and it looks and feels differently from the Gates I put on previously. The last one I put on felt coarse; this one is a softer grippier (sp?) feeling rubber. The guy at the store basically confirmed it was a Gates rebranded belt, but it's a rebrand of the premium line. He also said save the receipt because the belt has a lifetime warranty!

Just installed it. The ribbing definitely looks different from the one I took out, too. The deep groove belt on the left is the one I just removed and the right is the Napa branded belt. Just for posterity and a matter of record I just turned 110,000 miles so if it goes prematurely I'll have a record here.

20190226_161458.jpg

Stephen Cable

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer limited
I’d like to bump this post. I have found the issue and fixed it. After spending close to $300 on parts it cost me $3.98 to fix it with a tube of exterior caulk. The seal at the back of the hood between the windshield and engine bay was leaking. I was washing the car for a trip and popped the hood to check oil. I could see a water trail straight down to the top of the belt. Why that seal is not glued down is beyond me. Anyways it’s held in place with connectors every 6 inches or so. Between them you can stick your entire finger under them. If the hood had enough downward pressure this may not matter. Mine did not. To fix it I applied a bead of clear caulking along the inside edge under the hood. I’ve drove for 3 months now. Thru multiple extremely heavy storms with not one belt squeal or power loss issue.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
Welcome to the Forum Stephen.:wave:
Thanks for the tip.

Peter

Stephen Cable

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer limited
Thanks peter. Here’s a photo of the fix. Don’t mind the dirt we have been driving from Ohio to maine.
A47B066D-7393-4373-811F-802ADE745114.jpeg

You can see the old water spot lines on the top of the engine cover. And my caulk job.
21B7A952-49C3-47D5-975A-B0B25B659E99.jpeg

Last edited:

SteamboatTK

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT 2012
Hi Gang , new 2012 Explorer XLT owner here. This exact part fell off my “new used” explorer not 4 miles off the lot while I was driving . It came apart in two pieces and I saved the pieces.
The dealer’s mechanic was not there so no one knew where it went . It had just went through an oil change - does this piece need to be taken off to get at the oil filter?

Anyway does anyone have a cell phone picture , or a link to a video that shows this thing where it sits when affixed properly?

Thanks! Here is the link to the part I am going to order

https://parts.lakelandford.com/p/Fo...hield-Front--Lower/52427413/DB5Z9910494A.html

Update. This part is not to direct air. Only to prevent water from entering as southerngirl321 stated. I have included part number for the aformentioned lower shield (base part number 10494) specific number for my truck 7810494. Also requires clips to install onto frame. (Clip part number W716006S439).

View attachment 166622
ang

DUK010

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fenton, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Well i am having the squealing pully/belt problem as well. I replaced my belt one year ago with a Motorcraft belt and it fixed the problem back then. So now it is happening again about the same time of year as last year during fall when it is cooler and more moisture/humidity in mornings. But rain does not cause the squealing, it squeals regardless of weather. I have had no electrical drops or surges, just a annoying squaking/ squealing going on. My tensioner looks a bit rough for 71k miles, so I will try a gates premium belt and a new tensioner, and hopefully this will fix the problem.

DUK010

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fenton, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
And yes SteamboatTK the air director piece/shield indeed does cover up the oil filter perfectly. Must remove this piece to get to oil filter.

SteamboatTK

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT 2012
And yes SteamboatTK the air director piece/shield indeed does cover up the oil filter perfectly. Must remove this piece to get to oil filter.

Thanks guys appreciate it. Dealer I bought the car from manned up, figured his oil change guy screwed up , sending me a $200 check. New air deflector is $83 delivered and the rest is for my trouble or some misc fasteners ...

Christopher Edgar

Reaction score
City, State
Upton,ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 explorer xlt
I had replaced my belt with a OEM one and it started happening again in less then a year.

Got one from NAPA, swapped it again and with over 60k on this one, never had it happen again.
check to make sure it’s the right belt there are two sizes when I figured it out got the right size never slipped again

there is one for 175 amp alternator and it’s a half inch smaller than the 200 amp alternator it make all the difference

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
Welcome to the Forum Christopher.:wave:

Peter