• Register Today It's free!

SS Brake hoses

Andrewtre

Reaction score
City, State
Lyndhurst OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
Has anybody replaced the brake hoses on their 5th gen with SS hoses? I would like to do this but cannot find a kit. I see things available, but do not know the fitting sizes on the steel line and the calipers. Anybody know this stuff? Thanks for your replies in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm curious why you want to do this? Don't get me wrong, I'm into it. Ive done it on dozens of cars I've owned but mostly they were 80's cars with old softish lines that killed the pedal feel or they were just plain worn out. Have you upgraded other componants in your braking system already? The factory sport brakes are probably fine for 97% of drivers but I faded the sht out of my brakes a couple times with just one high speed stop. That's bad IMO. The Law Enforcement pad compound(and new factory rotors) seems to have solved that problem for my driving style:D

I agree. Assuming you can find a kit, this will be a pointless exercise on the Explorer. You will neither feel any difference nor improve brake functionality. If you are looking for a better pedal feel and quicker, stronger bite, start with the brake pads.

I'm curious why you want to do this? Don't get me wrong, I'm into it. Ive done it on dozens of cars I've owned but mostly they were 80's cars with old softish lines that killed the pedal feel or they were just plain worn out. Have you upgraded other componants in your braking system already? The factory sport brakes are probably fine for 97% of drivers but I faded the sht out of my brakes a couple times with just one high speed stop. That's bad IMO. The Law Enforcement pad compound(and new factory rotors) seems to have solved that problem for my driving style:D

Radar????????????

uhm - OK so there is probably a kit out there -but it's also probably labeled for the sport model. so consider that.

like others said - for a basic explorer I honestly would save my money and do some other MX first.

Step 1 above all - flush out that old brake fluid. I notice you seem to show a 2013 model - that fluid is at least 3 years old. Flush it all out with fresh fluid - your abs/stability module will thank you - as will your lines. AND you'll come away with a higher boiling point - stiffer pedal - and better overall feel.

Step 2 - if the pads are worn or nearing worn - replace with decent quality pad, I prefer a full ceramic compound over the semi-metalics - and a new rotor. Not a centric or other cheapo rotors made in china if you can swing it.

finally I'd look into whatever tires you are using and consider upgrading.

I just bought a Sport upgrading from a 2012 Limited and the brakes suck on the sport.
After market Carbon pads and drilled / slotted rotors plus 5.1 dot fluid on my limited with smaller brakes were way better. Soooo now i need to change to the same setup again.

I agree i don't like the petal pressure of the explorer. Not sure Lines are the problem, but if someone knows what SS lines fit the SPORT id like to change them as well. ~ Thanks

sorry but the brakes on the sport do not suck perhaps you are driving faster than you did in the limited.

but regardless.

drilled and slotted rotors suck in all cases on all cars. I would suggest slotted ones if you just have to have something that aggressive.

drilled is only for show. yes even on an AMG merc.

pad do indeed make quite the difference. I've seen on here some people getting the police interceptor pads and using them - apparently the calipers are the same with the exception of the seals. and I'd consider looking that up.

Or Personally I'm a fan of carbotech pads - if they make a set for the explorer, or something in the performance ceramic line - either hawk or porterfield or AXXIS.

Good luck on that front though.

Now if someone made a bigger diameter rotors kit that would be a nice find but again solid or slotted only.

Also consider PowerStop carbon ceramic. About $50 per end on RockAuto. They have a different pad number for the Police version. I am not sure why the difference, if the size is the same....

Do you know of pre-made SS brake lines or not? All your other meaningless posts don't contribute to this thread.

Both Goodridge and Russel seem to not make a kit for the Explorer. Mildly surprised.

but there are options to send measurements and have them made. Not sure what that costs.

Meanwhile it used to be that other shops could do that for you. IE cut the braided covered hoses and swedge the fittings on. There was a place here in town that did it but they closed in the recession.

summit and jeg's and a few other sites sell stuff like AeroQuip hose and fittings to make your own. Or standard length sizes pre-made.

Good luck. one band-aid option that I haven't seen done in years would be to wrap the OE rubber hoses. Something as a first layer for chaffing - like packing tape or soft nylon. Then the stronger something like wire mesh, or litterally wrapping with wire.

I don't recommend it but it used to be done back in the day.

Incidentally what do you race?

Does anyone have a link to an actual braided line kit for the sport? Mine is a 2013.

Back