ST Explorer Interior Updates 2021 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ST Explorer Interior Updates 2021

kimmonia

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Platinum
Hey all!

Looking forward to ordering an ST for 2021, however I'm reading about one of the updates that are not mentioned in the 2021 order guide thread. Apparently, the ST explorer is supposed to get upgrade interior trim which is just high gloss black interior trim. The ST Edge has high gloss black just around the cup holder and rotary shifter that I can see. Not too terrible.

"sportier version of the midsize crossover will only get high-gloss interior trim accents in various places, including the doors."

Anyone know more about this or thoughts?

Typically really don't like the idea of large areas of glossy black finish to get nasty and scratched in short order and require high upkeep to look nice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a shot on their website. looks like all Edge trim have the gloss black there

20_FRD_EDG_43263.jpg

Does this not cover what you are talking about?

● Enhanced Interior Finishes
— Ebony Colored Uppers: Headliner, Overhead Console, Pillars, Grab Handles, Visors and Moonroof Shade
— High Gloss Black Color on Center Stack
— High Gloss Black Color on Door Armrest Carrier
— High Gloss Black Color on Lower Console Rails
— High Gloss Black Color with Satin Auminum Surround on Steering Wheel Bezel
— High Gloss Black Color on Center Stack Buttons

Peter

Does this not cover what you are talking about?

● Enhanced Interior Finishes
— Ebony Colored Uppers: Headliner, Overhead Console, Pillars, Grab Handles, Visors and Moonroof Shade
— High Gloss Black Color on Center Stack
— High Gloss Black Color on Door Armrest Carrier
— High Gloss Black Color on Lower Console Rails
— High Gloss Black Color with Satin Auminum Surround on Steering Wheel Bezel
— High Gloss Black Color on Center Stack Buttons

Peter

Thanks Peter, yeah I guess it does! So the high gloss is spared from the main bin cover / cupholder area which would be the grossest place for it. Trim is bearable.

Update guys and gals; I spotted this photo montage on YouTube and it shows the ST with the gloss black updates interior, Not bad, those look better than the flat gray plastic but definitely worried about scratching and fingerprints in the long run. This looks like a non US model. I thought I saw some Chinese characters

I am guessing that is a the Chinese version? Did they get a different grill?

Update guys and gals; I spotted this photo montage on YouTube and it shows the ST with the gloss black updates interior, Not bad, those look better than the flat gray plastic but definitely worried about scratching and fingerprints in the long run. This looks like a non US model. I thought I saw some Chinese characters

Fingerprints I can deal with, but that has scratches written all over it. My father's 2016 MX5 has black plastic like that. I'll have to take a look at his and see how it's held up over the years. The exhaust looks a bit bland on that model. I feel like the exhaust looks better on the US explorer. Certainly at least better on the ST model.

Fingerprints I can deal with, but that has scratches written all over it. My father's 2016 MX5 has black plastic like that. I'll have to take a look at his and see how it's held up over the years. The exhaust looks a bit bland on that model. I feel like the exhaust looks better on the US explorer. Certainly at least better on the ST model.

I have gloss black trim in my Chevy SS Sedan and have had zero issues with it over the last four years.

I have gloss black trim in my Chevy SS Sedan and have had zero issues with it over the last four years.

That's good to hear! My father hasn't complained of his either so maybe it is okay. I think it looks good though.

All good points - yes it is quite different than the US model and not sure if the gloss black will extend to the cup holder and rotary gear area but definitely gives you a decent idea of how the door handles and the HVAC will look. Overall, I like that it brings the interior up a tad bit by getting rid of the cheap flat gray plastic in our 50-55K vehicles

I am guessing that is a the Chinese version? Did they get a different grill?
Yes, the front end is completely different from the US Explorer. If you look below their nav screen, you'll see that the physical hvac controls aren't there - all adjusted through the screen.

2016 6MT Chevy SS owner here as well! You have great taste in vehicles! :cool:

2016 6MT Chevy SS owner here as well! You have great taste in vehicles! :cool:

I find myself driving the explorer more..... Always nice to have the option of a fast SUV or a fast RWD V8 sedan with a 6 spd.

Rbh6x2C.jpeg

I like the red stitching in the leather in the video. Wishing mine had that

All good points - yes it is quite different than the US model and not sure if the gloss black will extend to the cup holder and rotary gear area but definitely gives you a decent idea of how the door handles and the HVAC will look. Overall, I like that it brings the interior up a tad bit by getting rid of the cheap flat gray plastic in our 50-55K vehicles

Maybe I haven't sat in enough luxury cars, but I never found my 17 explorer limited interior to be cheap. Certainly didn't find the ST that I test drove to be cheap like either. I'd compare my explorer to my 16 cx5 interior wise and the cx5s are always praised for their quality interiors.

I like the red stitching in the leather in the video. Wishing mine had that
I was really looking forward to the red stitching in my 2021. Sadly, it does not have it!!

When at my dealer yesterday, there was a '21 ST sitting outside, all locked up. I snapped this through the window. I see the "upgraded" gloss black parts (which I don't actually care for) and no sign of the red stitching (which I think would be nice.)
IMG_0037.jpeg

Frankly, I prefer the matte finish in our '20!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was really looking forward to the red stitching in my 2021. Sadly, it does not have it!!
When at my dealer yesterday, there was a '21 ST sitting outside, all locked up. I snapped this through the window. I see the "upgraded" gloss black parts (which I don't actually care for) and no sign of the red stitching (which I think would be nice.)
View attachment 323657
Frankly, I prefer the matte finish in our '20!!

Cheers!!

Ken
I noticed in a YouTube video the other day that the front seat backs looked like they no longer have that hard plastic trim on them. Does anyone know for sure?

Back