Stabailzer vs. Steering Kit

unclemeat

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
I have installed a 5.5" superlift suspension lift and BFG 33x12.5 MT KMs on a my 91 X sport (2-Door). The steering is a little unresponsive and unruly especially at highway speeds. I am considering a steering stabilizer or a superrunner steering kit. A stabilizer is much cheeper than a superrunner steering kit upgrade. Does anyone have an opinion on which is better?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A steering stabilizer, while cheaper, won't improve the geometry of the steering links like the SuperRunner system will.

Have you gotten an alignment and had the toe set properly? If not, that is probably the majority of the problem.

I had the bushings on the radius arms replaced, and the toe in reset. Problem solved. I still plan to get a stabilzer. Otherwise I am satisfied with the stock steering and the lift.

You probably already have a drop pitman arm right? If not you should definitely get one.

Sounds like you are suffering from bump steer, the change in the geometry of the steering, as well as oyer sized tires will cause that, steering staybalizer will improve that. The super runner steering, from what I have seen here is that it sucks, it is weak, and will not take much abuse.

Back