Stadx2's 98 Limited Lift Pics | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stadx2's 98 Limited Lift Pics

Yes, Yes, Yes I know this took forever, but here they are.

This is a list of my mods Iv'e done so far:
Suspension;
-Front; 4 inch Superlift (for a Ranger) +1 inch Torsion twist
-Rear; 5.5 inch Superlift (for 91-94 Explorers) Spring-over-axle Conversion
-2 inch Performance Accessories Body Lift w/98 Ranger bumper brackets
-Eagle 589 15x10 alloy wheels
-33x12.50 Goodyear Wrangler MT-R
-Rancho RS-9000 Shocks

Engine;
-Perma-Cool Electric Radiator Fan w/ adjustable T-stat
-KKM air intake

Audio/Video;
-Classified-

Here's a before pic.
site1_t.JPG

Here are some afters........
graphic_pub.jpg

site1018_t.JPG

site1019_t.JPG

site1020_t.JPG

Here's my Explorer hauling my WR to the mountains.
site1021_t.JPG

I installed a DVD player in the center counsel using a Toshiba home player.
This comes in handy on long trips.
site1022_t.JPG

site1023_t.JPG

site1024_t.JPG

site1025_t.JPG

site1026_t.JPG

Hope you enjoyed!

Darren
Littleton, CO

-Front 4 inch Superlift(Ranger)+1 inch Torsion Twist
-Rear 5.5 inch Superlift SOA
-2 inch PA body lift
-15x10 Eagle 589s
-33x12.50 Goodyear Wrangler MT-Rs
-KKM Air Intake

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yo thanks for the mods , i have the exact truck and have been lookin for a way to jack it up . couple qeustions!!!!! have you had any problems with your drive terian . did you have to change your rotars ? how much did it cost ? has it cause you any other problems ... thanks agian SIRFER45

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Hey Darren, my buddy, my pal. Wanna trade??? Dead Link Removed LMAO. Just kidding.

Anyways, that's the sweetest Explorer I've ever seen!!! Ya know what?? When I have a few thousand dollars lying around (which will never happen), I'll do the same thing you did. Good job!!!

Gawd!! Its bad man! De classify the top secret audio system! Ok back to the suspension. Did you ever get pics of the front shock install you were talking about in the other thread? The rears are stock right? Im trying to duplicate your rig one day man :) ... either the ranger kit or with the sport trac kit if it fits.......( it should...?)

Sorry Soupbone, but I think that would offer too much advertising even with my elaborate alarm system.
I guess I never took any pic of the RS 9000s in the front or the back, did I?
My front shocks are Rancho part#9008. To mount them, I had to cut off the hoop or eye mount on the body side of the shock(Rancho does not make a RS-9000 that has a stud on the body side), then cut off the stud on the factory front shocks and weld that stud to the top of the RS-9000 shock. Not that big of a deal.
My rear shocks are not shock.... I mean stock, they are RS-9000 Rancho part#9010.

Darren
Littleton, CO

-2 inch PA body lift
-15x10 Eagle 589s
-KKM Air Intake

very very nice!! that is one of the best looking explorers i have ever seen! now go get it DIRTY!

bike carrier

Nice Truck Stadx2
Just wondering about your bike carrier. WHat kind is it and does it just slide right in the class III hitch? How much did you get it for and where? I've been looking for something to haul my YZ250 to the desert with besides a trailer (I'm tired of towing a trailer around) and I've seen those bike carriers around.

SDMike

Hey Mike,

Nice to here from a fellow dirt biker!
The bike carrier is called a MotoJack Rack. Yes, it plugs right into your class III or V receiver hitch(I recommend class V though[its a lot of weight]). Best off all, it has a hydraulic bottle jack on it that lowers the cradle that your bike sits on so you can just roll/hop it on, then jack it back up. It cradles the bike under the engine and has these U-bolt decives that strap down on the bike's foortpegs. You can even buy it with one of those 5 gallon race jugs holders that bolts to it.
I found mine in that back adds of Dirt Bike Magazine. I thing I paid around $200-$250 for it. Great product!

P.S. Have you been hit with the rolling blackouts yet?

Darren
Littleton, CO

-2 inch PA body lift
-15x10 Eagle 589s
-KKM Air Intake

Thanks for the info Darren!! Looks like thats what i'm gonna get. sounds like a reasonable price and easy to use. I like the idea of just jacking it up, and not having to worry about having to lift it off the ground.
and yes, we were just hit with a rolling blackout yesterday around 5:00Pm and it will probably continue on for the rest of the week. and to top it off, it took almost 35 bucks to fill up my tank at $1.99 a gallon, the price you pay for living in America's finest....

dvd player

i'm really suprised that no one has asked about the dvd player mod? i am very curious and am seriously considering doing the same to my navajo. how did you cut the space out, how is it powered, and were there any tricks to getting the player components out of the box and into the console?

btw, nice truck!

ya..thats what i was gonna say, other than SWEET TRUCK MAN!! but did you do the dvd player yourself, or have somebody do it? you don't have to tell me, and then kill me Dead Link Removed, cause i don't wanna konw how you did it...just if you did it...

nice looking truck man...i like the DVD install but im not so sure i aggree with your placement of the screen....lets me just say that i hope im not ever shareing the road with you while your watching a movie.

Two enthusiastic thumbs up! Ok, so there are a few trucks out there that look better than mine. Looks great. Wanna trade for a premo 91???

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

SD Mike, your right about America's Finest, I love San Diego! My wife and I are moving there next year about this time.

Yaw, Riffman, Fordkrazy, Yes, I did that DVD install myself. Can't trust anybody else to do that for me!
Instead of duplicating what I did, you could actually buy a mobile DVD player made for cars. For example, Pioneer makes a 6 disc DVD changer that will fit in the center councel leaving you with a little more room then what I have. It even has a RGB video output that plugs directly into that Pioneer monitor for the ultimate in video performance. The only problem with this unit is that its $1400. No Good! And most other DVD players made for cars will also run you around a $1000 and up.
The less expensive option is to go the way I did, and use a home player which will run you about $200 at the most, and $40 for a cheap power inverter to convert 12VDC to 120VAC. It will just take a little more time to do the install. The Toshiba 2109 is the player I went with. Unfortunately, Toshiba doesn't make that peticular DVD player anymore. What that means to you, is that you will need to find a player that has a narrow enough transport that will fit in between the walls of your center councel(it took me three tries to find the right player). It is also important to find one that doesn't have a consolidated circut board, meaning there is more then one board inside the player that are small enough to stack under the transport. No big tricks on installing it, its just time consuming. I used a dremel tool to cut the slot the DVD drawer comes out of.
Circut City was my best friend when it came to this.

Fordkrazy, I have a personal rule about watching movies when I drive.
Rule #1: I have to had seen the movie before. This way, its not necessary to watch it all the time or be tempted to be drawn into watching because of a critcal visual effect.
If you note the location of the monitor when its flipped out, its actually at a higher level then my speedometer. Meaning your eyes don't have to move down as far to glance at it. I've had systems like this in my last two Explorers and have had no comprimises with safety when using it in the past.
If your wondering about the DVD skipping when going over bumps, don't. It skips less then my in-dash CD player.

Oh yeah, all you 91-94 Explorer owners. A 4 inch LCD monitor fits perfectly where your 4X4 switches currently are. Trust me, I've done it.

Darren
Littleton, CO

-2 inch PA body lift
-15x10 Eagle 589s
-KKM Air Intake

That is a very cherry ride man....it looks awesome..

About the 4" screen that went where the 4x4 gauges are, HOW????? Do you have any pics?
Do you have to make a panel that fits in there? Did you re-locate the 4x4 buttons? Also is the 4" a decent size for viewing? It seems kind of small?? I was going to order one of those silver in dash flip out screens and put in where my ashtray is but since you posted this I am VERY curious....please get back to me thanks.

Ford might have stopped doing this...but I thought the Limited Edition has the ability to lower itself 3 inches when you're traveling above 55mph and it can raise itself 3 inches when you go offroad. If this is still the case, did you incorporate that functionality into your lift? Just curious...very schweet by the way. :D

ohhh baby, im jealous,

uh you dont have an alarm on there do you??? where did you say you lived again?? and just out of curiosity, where do you leave the keys at night??

Newbz,

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of that 4 inch monitor install I did. I did it about 3 years ago. I installed that monitor by simply pulling out the 4x4 buttons and the bezel that surrounds the buttons and moved them to a center councel that I bought from Explorer Express. Where the buttons were, you now have about a 4 inch diaognal hole to mount the monitor.
Personally, I found the 4 inch monitor to be just fine in size for viewing VHS or DVD for the driver to view. Plus, the position on your dash where the 4x4 buttons used to be is an ideal spot being so high on the dash. The flip out screen you want doesn't run too cheap. They average around $1000. This 4 inch LCD monitor will run you about $120 from Accel Electronics, not bad.
This way you could mount four or five monitors (one for every passenger) throughout you truck and still have it cost less then that one flip out unit.

Triton46,

Not all Limiteds come with Air-Ride suspension. Ford stopped making that standard on Limitieds in 97. What I'm getting at, is my Explorer does not have Air-Ride. I purposely looked for a Limited that didn't have it knowing full well I didn't want air-ride while rolling 33s. In 2WD mode, I would have had a tire-rubbing nightmare!

Monochomus,

I use the factory Ford alarm AND an aftermarket alarm/remote start system with alllllllllll kinds of booby traps!

Darren
Littleton, CO

-2 inch PA body lift
-15x10 Eagle 589s
-KKM Air Intake

crap....

What kind of booby traps did you use? I would definitly be interested in adding a lilttle more security to my truck.

Back