Staight axle for third generation? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Staight axle for third generation?

theONLYbigHEAD

Reaction score
City, State
North Platte, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4WD
I have a 2002 XLT that I wanna straight axle. Anyone know if a XJ Jeep front axle would fit or work with how much work its gonna involve? Or how about any of the TJ Jeep axles. Or even a first gen explorer or bronco 2. Any other suggestions would be awsome thanks! :burnout:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just some type of matching rear, if the rear from the jeep will work i was gonna go the same route for the rear!

Here do this, find a running Bronco or Jeep or whatever you want to get the axles out of and park your Explorer next to it. Then slide under both of them to check out what needs to be done -- it'll become obvious as you notice the differences.

easier to put a Gen III body onto an older truck
Your truck is IFS and IRS, you are seriously better off starting with a completely different frame and keep the Gen III body

Or you can solid axle your truck front and rear, but its gonna cost more then the truck and require a complete re-work of everything underneath

Welcome to the site! :)

Thanks everyone, ill keep my options open, i have found a dana 44 front and rear out of a XJ style jeep, that i have been thinking about. I have been talking with some of the local Jeep guys trying to see what is possible. I thought i would consult some true explorer guys also (i.e. "Serious Explorations"). Not sure what will happen yet and how much im getting myself into. But hey anything is possible with time, patience, and some fabrication. Thanks for your guys input.

welcome

Back