Stainless Exhaust Manifold Studs or Regular Steel Studs for 3V 4.6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stainless Exhaust Manifold Studs or Regular Steel Studs for 3V 4.6

sharonis3

Reaction score
City, State
New Brunswick
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Eddie V8, 02 Ltd V8
HI:

Wondering if I should buy the Ford Stainless Studs and Stainless Nuts to do the exhaust manifold on my 2008 V8 Exploder....... I plan to keep this vehicle for another 8 years and would be happy to pay the extra price, if the Ford Stainless parts actually last longer....

Ford Stainless Stud Part # W703902-S403 and the nut is W701706-S2 (From TSB 09-22-8 and the earlier 05-5-4)

Do these last longer ? Has anyone found these to be a problem ?

I am wary of EBay stainless studs as some stainless grades are soft actually much weaker than a cheap regular steel stud...

If you answer - let me know if you have used the Ford Stainless studs, 3rd party stainless or regular studs....

I installed ebay SS studs and nuts on mine 2-3 years ago, and no issues after over 50k miles.

I have the Metric Screw s/s studs that are sold on Amazon. Installed about 16 months ago with no problems. My son also used the same studs about 2 1/2 years ago on his Adrenalin. Since the torque specs are not high, don't think tensile strength is an issue. Corrosion could become an issue, so use anti seize.

Back