Stainless Steel Air Filters?

storlied

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0L V8 AWD XLT
Anyone have any information on these? Does anyone use them? How's the filtering? Do they filter better than the normal oiled/no oil filters? Do they let in a good amount of air?

I'm asking because I'm ordering the mac intake soon for the 5.0 and I might swap the filter out for something that'll match my engine bay. They look pretty tough and come in plenty of colors, I seen them at Shucks.

I could only find this mentioned once or twice on this forum, mainly speculation and small comments. If anyone has any actual experience with these, that would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What filter were you thinking about using? (brand, type, ect)

I don't know the exact same, I figured they're the same for the most part. It's some generic company from what I saw. I just want some general info on them, google isn't too informative about them. Any reviews posted on this site when they were mentioned are bad now. I can't get too much information about them, I need user feedback on em.

Spectre is the company, my Mac filter is about toast... [I'll miss the blue thing.. =( ]

But if I do go with the SS filter, I have many color choices... They do offer a SS version with cotton inside two layers of SS mesh... I might get that..... I don't know...

Any information will be helpful.

DON'T! I got one for free from a buddy, it's cool looking but does **** for filtering. When took off the filter and cleaned everything, there was so much dust/grime in the tube/throttle body and all, it was disgusting.

Get a real filter, if you're trying to match, they have colored filters, look on andysautosport.com for some. I know they'll bring together links and prices for a bunch of different companies.

Don't buy the stainless steel one, trust me, I ran it for a year and granted it flows good, it doesn't do good for filtering.

I think I might go with the SS one that has the cotton stuff in it..

I wouldn't recommended using one on your truck, They use them in marine applications and call them Spark Arrestors. Evey time I take the one off my boat to clean it, Im disgusted by the amount of garbage got past the thing and got caked up in the venturi of the carb.

Which, the SS or SS/cotton?

You think the SS w/cotton would be something to look into?

I personally wouldn't, as I don't think the cotton would last long after a few cleanings I think it would fall apart and degrade. Just my opinion I haven't even seen one with cotton to tell you the truth. I would go with a high flow K&N filter, but its your call. If you do it, clean your intake before you use it, and make frequent inspections of the filter and the intake to see if there is any grime building up.

Good Luck

Amsoil's "new" air filter seems the best -IMO

I just saw one the other day-it is a re usable unit, but doesn't require the oil, which is known to knock out Maf sensors-

In fact-I was shown a bulletin where GM is trying to dishonor warranty service where a K&N air filter is used. I have been suspect of the oil in their filters for a while. It's just too tricky to avoid over oiling it

Just an FYI

For the most part, I'm looking for a good high flow filter with the blue color. Or anything but red. [Black, Grey, Silver..]

My Oval mac filter is going out the window, and it looks like crap. I accidentally imploded it once when I was cleaning my engine... forgot the bag was there... it's just crappy... I've cleaned it and re-oiled it and it just looks bad..

Took a look at the amsoil filters, no idea where to buy them though.

And I don't know which one to get also....................
Another question, what size do I look for when buying a new filter for this?

i use to have the ss filter, its mainly for show. doesnt do much for filtering but it damn sure flowed a hella lot better than any filter ive owned. that and because it flowed so well gave it a nice mean throatysound. i had it in my eclipse, and got rid of it when i got my ex.

heres a few pics of whatit looked like
stainlessmeshfilter.jpg

stainlessmeshfilterpleats.jpg

stainlessmeshfilteropening.jpg

insidestainlessmeshfilter.jpg

that last picture is a dead giveawayof why it sucks at filtering crap out of the engine. and the cotton is just a joke for this filter, doesnt do crap either

The one I'm looking at has a sorta thick cotton on it, like the K&N. You can't see through it like yours.

i understand your looking for information on a stainless steel filter with thick cotton, but your also talking about the company spectre making them. which they do have cotton filters but not any stainless steel with cotton.

heres there parts catalog, and its either a straight ss like the one i had or their cotton filters http://www.powerflowracing.com/spectre-prdlist.asp?PG=18&PSG=9

Amsoil's "new" air filter seems the best -IMO

Just an FYI

I'm with Jon. I've used K&N (too much oil on those suckers, right out of the box), Green (higher quality than K&N, seem to use less oil) and the filters than came with Volant and MAC. I'll never go back to cloth/oil. I clean my MAF electronics periodically and it's always so much cleaner since I went with Amsoil.

Amsoil filters are great. They do a great job and maintenance involves hitting it with a shop vac once a year. I actually scored one of Amsoil's prefilters and it keeps it even cleaner. I live in a dusty place and the prefilter works well. Supposedly they make the setup a bit more restrictive, but I haven't noticed any performance issues. I'm using a custom setup on my 5.0 made up of a Volant box (from a 4.0 SOHC pplication), intake tube from a MAC intake (cut back an inch or two to fit), silicone couplers, stainless steel t-bolts and C&L MAF body.

It's my fave mod. :thumbsup:

Alright, so it has been concluded that the SS air filters suck at filtering, but let a LOT of air in. [Hence the sticker on the package that says race/drag use only.] But I've been thinking..... What about during the winter? Not much in the air during the winter as far as dust n whatnot goes.. and it's hella cold air.. what do you guys think on this thought?

[If anything, I'll hunt down an amsoil air filter locally... someday..]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright, so it has been concluded that the SS air filters suck at filtering, but let a LOT of air in. [Hence the sticker on the package that says race/drag use only.] But I've been thinking..... What about during the winter? Not much in the air during the winter as far as dust n whatnot goes.. and it's hella cold air.. what do you guys think on this thought?

[If anything, I'll hunt down an amsoil air filter locally... someday..]

I would say winter would be worse as far as dust goes since they put sand down on the road.

Back