stalled at 10,000 ft

boisebamber

Reaction score
City, State
boise
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 sport
99 xlt 6 cyl 4 L ...160k

runs great in all respects except when temp excceeds about 65. then to start it i have to crank once, turn off ignition and then re-crank. fires right up.

today i was on grand mesa at 10,000 ft and engine started to sputter as i was exiting at slow speed from parking lot. finally stalled. i cranked a few times, no go,waited, cranked again and it started right up and runs fine that i can tell.

i have replaced IAC, EGR, cleaned MAF, changed all O2 sensors, full tuned-up ..all in last 6 months in attempt to fix starting problem.

mechanics tell me to check each injector for leaks and/or new fuel pump.

i suppose stalling at high altitude is related to starting problem but am not sure.

any illumination would be appreciated.

When was the fuel filter replaced last?

The returnless fuel system on the 99 and up Explorer is picky about losing presure and/or volume. Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail... minimum should be 65 psi although the engine will run as low as 55 psi...

But I would check pressure before then after changing the filter before changing any hardware...Especially if the engine runs fine for the moment...

As minor as this sounds, try a new gas cap.

not disagreeing on the fuel cap, but why would outside air temp influence? i guess being at 10,000 ft and operating at slow speed could have been precipiator of stall...the famous boyles law.

at any rate will get new fuel cap and giver er a try.

one mechanic said the thing ran 'cool'. i had a logical disconnect on this because i live in texas and running 'cool' sounds like a good thing.

any thoughts on ECT functionality?

Back