• Register Today It's free!

Stalling Car Help

si man

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
My car is a 98 explorer sport. The car is stalling when put into gear and also neutral. The car is an automatic. Sometimes the car doesn't stall, but the rpm's drop very low, near to stalling. The o/d light has been blinking for a few months or so, but havn't noticed any problems. does this sound like a torque converter clutch solenoid problem, or else? How can I confirm the problem without a code reader?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your O/D light is flashing - GET THE CODE READ - the O/D light flashing means an error code in the transmission. Driving the Ex like that can cause major damage to the transmission. go to a reputable transmission shop or auto parts store and get er' read with a scanner. Do this soon and don't drive it unless necessary, and if you do go easy.

On the stall does the engine make any strange sounds?

yes, checked IAC, MAF, and TB also found no vacuum leaks. The cars has very low idle when in gear, sometimes stalling, sometimes just a rough idle.

try replacing you iac or maf. i would get your codes read. if you drive like that, you could do some serious damage to your tanny!

It's not good to drive it with the OD light flashing. Are you noticing it shifting harder? If so, you are putting a strain on the trans. Get the codes pulled. Autozone will pull them for free.

getting the codes read today. hope for the best.

Back