• Register Today It's free!

Stalling Every Day!

hippyheart

Reaction score
City, State
West Plains, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer Sport
Please help me! My '94 explorer will stall no matter how slow or fast I drive. It is as if my key was turned off... no power! I pull to the side of the road and wait 3 to 5 minutes until my check engine light will come on again and start it back up and continue on. This has been going on for a couple of years. I checked my codes and it keeps saying EGR valve sensor - too high voltage. So far, I have changed out my fuel filter, PVC plug, EGR valve and sensor, ignition switch, ICM, checked my coil pack for voltage, cleaned and reflanged my broken tube from my EGR, new spark plugs and wire harness and scanned all other controls. It still dies. Which leads to other questions... I know the firing order to my 4.0 (1-4-2-5-3-6) but I need a diagram to the spark plugs... now my engine is missing to boot! Also does the MAF sensor might be the problem? Needs cleaning? I'm at a stand still! Anyone want to tackle this one? :confused: Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try changing your DPFE. Most EGR flow issues are actually the DPFE. I was having a similar problem, it would shudder at low RPM's. Changed the DPFE and all was good. It's $50 at Autozone and takes a minute to change.

Is your EGR code KOEO or CM?
"It is as if my key was turned off... no power! I pull to the side of the road and wait 3 to 5 minutes until my check engine light will come on again and start it back up and continue on." -- This is interesting. KOEO, that light comes on just as a way for the computer to say, "I'm here." When that doesn't come on, you either have a bad light (but the light seems to work), or the computer is MIA. 1st thing I would do is check out the EEC relay and associated wiring to make sure the computer has a reliable power source. You have to also recognize the intermittant nature of the fault and adjust your diagnosis accordingly.

Thank You all for your input. I will check DPFE and EEC relay out and get back and let you know what happens. By the way, I did get an answer on the firing order today. I appreciate it! Thanks! Mike :)

Are your battery cables the originals? If so, they may be rotting on the inside. This could cause all sorts of troubles. If they heat up, can't conduct juice properly, I think you could lose power (especially if the ground cable is bad)

Back