• Register Today It's free!

Stalling/Fuel Gauge problems

KDavidson5

Reaction score
City, State
Bonner Springs
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi everyone, I was hoping you could help me. I bought a 2005 Ford Explorer XLT (with a salvage title) about 6 months ago and within the past month have had problems with it. The fuel gauge wouldn't register that I filled up the gas tank, but would slowly move to full as I continued driving. Recently, though, the car has begun stalling while I've been driving. It's happened twice so far. It hasn't happened on the highway yet (thank God), but at speeds of 30 mph or so. The car starts up fine afterwards. I took it to the mechanic and they checked all of the sensors and said everything was just fine. They couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Well, yesterday the engine light finally came on and is throwing the code P0463 - Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input.

Do you think it's safe to say I need to replace the entire fuel pump? I found a pretty good price online for a Spectra Premium SP2075M Fuel Pump Assembly.

Hi everyone, I was hoping you could help me. I bought a 2005 Ford Explorer XLT (with a salvage title) about 6 months ago and within the past month have had problems with it. The fuel gauge wouldn't register that I filled up the gas tank, but would slowly move to full as I continued driving. Recently, though, the car has begun stalling while I've been driving. It's happened twice so far. It hasn't happened on the highway yet (thank God), but at speeds of 30 mph or so. The car starts up fine afterwards. I took it to the mechanic and they checked all of the sensors and said everything was just fine. They couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Well, yesterday the engine light finally came on and is throwing the code P0463 - Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input.

Do you think it's safe to say I need to replace the entire fuel pump? I found a pretty good price online for a Spectra Premium SP2075M Fuel Pump Assembly.
@KDavidson5
The pump has nothing to do with the fuel gauge (Level Sensor). The code is stating that inadequate current is flowing in the gauge circuit. Likely attributable to a poor ground, possibly at the tank, or poor connection at the pump/level sensor connector. imp

Back