• Register Today It's free!

Stalling issue

Kareymarie

Reaction score
City, State
Barnegat NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer sport
I have a 93 explorer sport 5speed that’s been randomly stalling out while driving. Driving down the road it loses all throttle and then will die, almost like it’s out of gas. I’ve replaced the fuel pump, filter and pressure regulator and done new plugs and wires. I’m at a loss, I thought it fuel related but apparently not. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When it dies, does the check engine light turn on?

If not, ECM has lost power. Check eec relay by swapping it with another like it in the fuse relay box

Turdle is right.

Check codes if you can.

When it dies, does the check engine light turn on?

If not, ECM has lost power. Check eec relay by swapping it with another like it in the fuse relay box
The check engine light does come on

Not to mislead, and def check codes but mine had similar issues when the ignition coil went bad. There’s a number of reasons for the symptoms you have described, but that’s my anecdotal experience…
If you’re unable to successfully isolate the problem elsewhere, you can always check that coil with a multimeter and see if that’s the ticket

Not to mislead, and def check codes but mine had similar issues when the ignition coil went bad. There’s a number of reasons for the symptoms you have described, but that’s my anecdotal experience…
If you’re unable to successfully isolate the problem elsewhere, you can always check that coil with a multimeter and see if that’s the ticket
My 91 has a crank but no start. The truck shut off on me while on the side of the road. Have not really tried looking at it but will try to make sure I have spark.

Back