• Register Today It's free!

Stalling issues

Tom2782

Reaction score
City, State
FORT MYERS, florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 explorer xlt
Hi, I have an 03 explorer xlt that will stall after 30 to 40 minutes of driving when coming to a stop, after it stalls you can start it right back up no problem, but it stalls again if you put it in drive if it hasn't cooled down yet. Park reverse and neutral have no issues. Once it warms up before it stalls it will start to shutter between 30 and 40. It also makes a whirling nose coming from around the transmission until it gets to running temp. It also shifts pretty hard in general. And like I said it's only stalling when going into gear, so I'm really thinking a torque converter, done a stall speed test, but I don't know what the stall speed should be. I haven't really found any issues with the IAC or the MAF sensors, or any issues with the charging or ignition system. The fuel delivery system seems to have no apparent issues either. It seems like the torque converter could be the cause, it's just shy of 200,000 miles. Of anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, I have an 03 explorer xlt that will stall after 30 to 40 minutes of driving when coming to a stop, after it stalls you can start it right back up no problem, but it stalls again if you put it in drive if it hasn't cooled down yet. Park reverse and neutral have no issues. Once it warms up before it stalls it will start to shutter between 30 and 40. It also makes a whirling nose coming from around the transmission until it gets to running temp. It also shifts pretty hard in general. And like I said it's only stalling when going into gear, so I'm really thinking a torque converter, done a stall speed test, but I don't know what the stall speed should be. I haven't really found any issues with the IAC or the MAF sensors, or any issues with the charging or ignition system. The fuel delivery system seems to have no apparent issues either. It seems like the torque converter could be the cause, it's just shy of 200,000 miles. Of anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
Clogged catalytic converter will do everything you just said when it stalls get under and check your cats should be glowing red almost or pretty damn hot. I’d check that first as the hotter they get the more restrictive they get. Often times when they begin to fail it’ll only clog up when it gets hot so id start there especially if it starts up after it cools down.

I don’t think a torque converter to cause you to stall aswell. Not sure 100% sure but seems unlikely

Also my apologies for the spam but a clogged cat can also cause some noises that may be what your hearing.

Also my apologies for the spam but a clogged cat can also cause some noises that may be what your hearing.
Thank you so much, I'll check that tomorrow!!!!!

Clogged catalytic converter will do everything you just said when it stalls get under and check your cats should be glowing red almost or pretty damn hot. I’d check that first as the hotter they get the more restrictive they get. Often times when they begin to fail it’ll only clog up when it gets hot so id start there especially if it starts up after it cools down.
It doesn't need to cool down to start back up, it just needs to cool down to not stall when I put it in drive. It also has no check engine light on, I know if it's just starting to go bad it might not come on yet, but the fact that after the initial stall will coming to a stop it will only stall of I put it in drive is concerning, would a clogged cat cause that?? And at the initial stall it's pretty violent, it feels like the engine or transmission is trying to come off the mounts and it will almost want to drive as though I have my feet on the brakes and gas at the same time.

It doesn't need to cool down to start back up, it just needs to cool down to not stall when I put it in drive. It also has no check engine light on, I know if it's just starting to go bad it might not come on yet, but the fact that after the initial stall will coming to a stop it will only stall of I put it in drive is concerning, would a clogged cat cause that?? And at the initial stall it's pretty violent, it feels like the engine or transmission is trying to come off the mounts and it will almost want to drive as though I have my feet on the brakes and gas at the same time.
the cat will stall the car after it gets to hot and can no longer flow. But if your car doesn’t need to cool down to start again not to sure. I know my cat was clogged and it would feel terribly weak could would stall have to wait 30 minutes and it would go along it’s way until the cat overheated again.

Take a rubber mallet to all 3 cats and bang on them see if they rattle a cat that had suffered a melt down should rattle or sound a little tinny

Take a rubber mallet to all 3 cats and bang on them see if they rattle a cat that had suffered a melt down should rattle or sound a little tinny
I did that they all sound fine

I did that they all sound fine
I cant really say what your issue is the the cat was just kind of a blind guess because I had similar symptoms when mine were bad. One last thing next time it stalls get under and see if your exhaust is hotter than it should be. Mine were almost glowing when they would stall

Back