Stalling/no start on first try, fine on second | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stalling/no start on first try, fine on second

branfarm

Reaction score
City, State
Provo, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
Hey guys, got an interesting problem for you... I have a '99 XLT V6 SOHC that is increasingly giving me problems when I start it up. About 3/5 times, when I start it up, it will either not start after a good few seconds of cranking, or it will start then die a few seconds later. It doesn't matter if its been sitting overnight, or if the engine is warm and I've only been gone a few minutes.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help

I just had this exact problem. I would have to press on the gas pedal a good amount to get my car to start, and it still wouldnt want to. Otherwise the engine would turn and just die. I took it to a mechanic and asked him if it could be the IAC (idle air controller?) which is a common problem, and he said it could be, but since the car idles fine otherwise it probably wasnt. He took off my intake and looked in my throttle body and there was A LOT of buildup behind the throttle plate, which was restricting the airflow while idling (and at start up). After he cleaned it out, ive had absolutely no problems starting it. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the information. Is that a repair I can do at home?

Easily, just get throttle body cleaner, which is in a aerosol can. Take off your intake at the throttle body, which is probably the "hardest" part. Once you have that out of the way, just open the throttle plate from the connection of the throttle cable to the throttle body itself (youll know what im talking about, its on the right side of the TB). If you have the same problem as i did, you will see a little bit of build up behind the plate, which is making it harder for the engine to breathe, especially at idle/startup. Spray it down pretty liberally all around the TB while holding a rag underneath the bottom of the tb, because it will all come poring out as you spray. Then wipe out the TB itself, and repeat it a few times until it is all clean. Before you buy the cleaner, id check the TB to see if there is buildup so u dont waste the few bucks if its clean.

Back