• Register Today It's free!

Stalling on start-up

steventadams

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
Truck began stalling on start-up 2-3 starts after cleaning the MAF sensor and IAC to combat a high idle problem. Checked the coilpack and the secondary resistance is out of spec on all coils (13k ohms for coil 1+2, 14k ohms for coil 3). Couldn't check the primary because the connector faces the firewall and I couldn't see what I was doing. Is this considered too far out of spec or is that acceptable? Could that be contributing to my problem? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think the coil pack would cause your stalling problem. When my coil pack was out of spec (12.5K ohms) it would show up as a misfire under load, like climbing a hill or pulling my trailer. It never set a code, but I could feel it misfire and it showed up on my scan tool as a misfire.

When I had a stalling problem, it was my IAC sticking. My problem was only with an already warm engine though.

Did you reset the PCM?

I had the battery disconnected while I did it but reconnected it a minute or two after I put the MAF/IAC back together. It was disconnected for probably 15 minutes.

I don't think the coil pack would cause your stalling problem. When my coil pack was out of spec (12.5K ohms) it would show up as a misfire under load, like climbing a hill or pulling my trailer. It never set a code, but I could feel it misfire and it showed up on my scan tool as a misfire.

When I had a stalling problem, it was my IAC sticking. My problem was only with an already warm engine though.

The CEL hasn't come on yet and I don't feel any misfires although in the last 2 weeks it has been running somewhat rough. My mpg has dropped 15% and it feels a little sluggish... I supposed I could borrow a data cable and try to grab something as I drive :dunno:

The CEL hasn't come on yet and I don't feel any misfires although in the last 2 weeks it has been running somewhat rough. My mpg has dropped 15% and it feels a little sluggish... I supposed I could borrow a data cable and try to grab something as I drive :dunno:

My truck never set the CEL even though I could feel the misfire. There is a PID called Misfire True. I set my scan tool to read the PID Misfire True and then drove up a hill where I could feel the misfire. About 1/2 a second after feeling the misfire, the PID would change from False to True for about 1 sec then go back to False.

My truck never set the CEL even though I could feel the misfire. There is a PID called Misfire True. I set my scan tool to read the PID Misfire True and then drove up a hill where I could feel the misfire. About 1/2 a second after feeling the misfire, the PID would change from False to True for about 1 sec then go back to False.

Well the problem seems to have fixed itself for now. I started her up after work and she ran fan. Idled at 500rpm with no sign of stalling. There may be an intermittent issue at work here but until it shows up again I'm just gonna forget about it :confused: Thanks anyway.

i too have the same problem....its very speratic but it will stall when ya start it...when it does this i start it and hit the gas just a lil(2500rpm) and for a sec or two and she's good to go... it only does it every now and again tho so i ignor it.....intrested to find out what problem really is tho

Back