• Register Today It's free!

Stalling Out When put in drive?

bhm3399

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995, 2001 Ford Explorer
2000 Ford Explorer V8 5.0...166,000---supposed to be AWD however does not have a front driveshaft

Okay, Couple of days ago I reversed out of my parking spot and shifted to drive and boom...explorer completely shuts off, so i turned it off and tried again..this time from park and boom did it again. Well after two more tries it started and shifted into drive and stayed on. Well since then I have noticed it running ruff. Well this morning it happened again and this time it wouldnt change. I reversed out of the spot and put into drive and it stopped. Well after trying again and again I put it into drive and speed up and got going. Well it was so ruff it was scary to stop and then when I did it stalled. So...I drove back home in reverse! Any suggestions?

PS it stopped in 1 and 2 also.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Based on the information you provided, all I can tell is that the engine is running poorly. I would check the plugs wires and all the regular maintenance procedures and clean the MAF.
If the problem still persist after that then I might look for a vacuum leak and scan the engine codes.

Try cleaning the IAC (idle air control) as well.

okay forgive me for not knowing...new to fords...I know where the maf is but where is the IAC and how do I clean these out?
Thanks!

It's the cylinder shaped gadget mounted on top of the throttle body.

okay forgive me for not knowing...new to fords...I know where the maf is but where is the IAC and how do I clean these out?
Thanks!

TONS of threads on cleaning the IAC and MAF. Search around the archives (we have two different search tools on the site). You'll find the answers.

Good luck with the troubleshooting.

Update

So I cleaned the MAF and IAC...explorer started just fine then shut off when shifted into drive. So I unpluged the battery to reset the computer which finally shut of the check engine light. Well it ran great. Then the next day it was back to square one. Doing the same old thing as before. Hopefully I can get it to Autozone so they can check the codes if they can...previously a friend of mine couldn't get any codes and thinks the port is messed up. So any ideas of what else could be causing this? THanks!

my explorer did that when the transmission cooler line exploded an i didn't have enough fuild check that it may be that simple

Back