• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Stalling when in drive with any load

L1ft3d

Reaction score
City, State
Apple valley California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 mercury mountaineer
1999 mercury mountaineer stalling and bogging

I started the truck up and idles fine. When in drive if givin to much gas it Bogs and stalls out. I have already replaced
MAS
fuel pump
Fuel filter
it is giving me 10 codes one of them is a p0303 witch is cylinder 3 misfire.

Please help me this is my only car and I just got a new job

#living the dream

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

XLTrunner

Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT 4.0SOHC
More info would be helpful. PO303 is a pretty general code and can mean anything from a fuel, ignition or mechanical problem. What are the other codes?

L1ft3d

Reaction score
City, State
Apple valley California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 mercury mountaineer
P0135
P0155
P0171
P0755
P0760
P1747
P1409
P1451

#livingthedream

L1ft3d

Reaction score
City, State
Apple valley California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 mercury mountaineer
Going to just start changing parts like egr and iac next I am so stumped

#mylife

GTMountain

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer 302 AWD
EGR, PCV, and EVAP. You're basically getting codes for every emissions system.
I'd do a smoke test and see if you just have a large vacuum leak driving most of the codes.

L1ft3d

Reaction score
City, State
Apple valley California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 mercury mountaineer
Do you think it could possibly be coil packs
And I don't have a smoke machine just starting fluid

MAS Tequila

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boca Raton FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty 4WD 5.0
You can make a smoker for about $20.

Google it, you'll be surprised just how easy it is.

MT

GTMountain

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer 302 AWD
A two pack of Swisher Sweets, a vacuum T, and a length of hose. T into a line at the manifold, lead the extra hose to the front, puff on cigar, blow smoke into hose, place thumb over hose between puffs. By the time the cigar is done if you have a leak the smoke will be pouring out of it everytime you blow. $5 and no risk of setting things on fire.

L1ft3d

Reaction score
City, State
Apple valley California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 mercury mountaineer
I tried both and found no leaks and replaced throttle positioning sensor as well with no avail

L1ft3d

Reaction score
City, State
Apple valley California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 mercury mountaineer
it was the egr fuse ****ing stupid thanks to everyone I appreciate the help so much and will keep posting updates on this forum

GTMountain

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer 302 AWD
Wow, surprised you got that many faults from just the fuse without hemorrhaging air. Be sure to service you're EGR system while you're poking around.

L1ft3d

Reaction score
City, State
Apple valley California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 mercury mountaineer
Thanks I did it has a lot of carbon build up and I am still getting a couple codes but stalling and sputter are gone. I also see a lot more power with the change of the fuel pump and filter.

#living the dream

GTMountain

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer 302 AWD
Probably had a bit of that servicing past due regardless of the fuse issue.

L1ft3d

Reaction score
City, State
Apple valley California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 mercury mountaineer
Most definitely I am going to start putting everything new. That way I can know it was done and done right. But for some reason I am only getting the codes above 1000 that I posted previously. I d k why they are coming up tho

L1ft3d

Reaction score
City, State
Apple valley California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 mercury mountaineer
It has no more check engine light guys..... now on the other hand. When I am pressing the throttle while it is going up a steep incline it flashes a check engine light. Let me know if anyone think can think of something?

Hashtag confused

1998Exp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Seattle WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited V8 AWD
It has no more check engine light guys..... now on the other hand. When I am pressing the throttle while it is going up a steep incline it flashes a check engine light. Let me know if anyone think can think of something?
Flashing (not briefly turning on, but repeated fast flashing) means a misfire.

GTMountain

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer 302 AWD
Hook up your timing light to one plug wire at a time. Give it a rev while holding the trigger and see if the flash is broken up. One by one see if you can figure where the issue is.
If it's been a while, you may just want to go ahead with a new coil, plugs and wires. They are part of regular maintenance after all.

L1ft3d

Reaction score
City, State
Apple valley California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 mercury mountaineer
I got a p0303 code could that mean cylinder 3 and, if so what might be causing it? it also has an exausht rattle. I will be looking into a lot of little issues.

=•)

kendrellh

Reaction score
City, State
gretna, la
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer
it was the egr fuse ****ing stupid thanks to everyone I appreciate the help so much and will keep posting updates on this forum
Where was the fuse located i tried to look it up no luck and what model is your truck i have a 97

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.