Stalls at idle, TPS? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stalls at idle, TPS?

Reaction score
City, State
South Shore Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT 4X4 loaded
Hey guys, for the past year my 1995 (OHV) ex has intermittently stalled at idle, has a rough idle. Recently its gotten worse, if I give it gas while idling it won't stall. Also while driving at mid to higher speeds the ex randomly feels like its losing power or the transmission is downshifting. Also right after startup the rpms drop fast for a second or so then jump back up. The idle in park cycles up and down.

I replaced my IAC a few months ago but with no change. Should I change the TPS, I believe it could be causing this but I wanted a second opinion.

I just want my ex back to normal =(

Hey guys, for the past year my 1995 (OHV) ex has intermittently stalled at idle, has a rough idle. Recently its gotten worse, if I give it gas while idling it won't stall. Also while driving at mid to higher speeds the ex randomly feels like its losing power or the transmission is downshifting. Also right after startup the rpms drop fast for a second or so then jump back up. The idle in park cycles up and down.

I replaced my IAC a few months ago but with no change. Should I change the TPS, I believe it could be causing this but I wanted a second opinion.

I just want my ex back to normal =(

my .02,
intake gaskets. i had Very similar symptoms and that was the cause. seeing how you threw in a new IAC and the problem still occurs that would be my next step.

im damn sure its not your TPS, but if you want, you can back probe it and check the voltage. should get a reading between .95v - .98v's. (shooting for .96v)

I would think if it was your TPS you would have a problem through out your rpm range. I had one bad once and the truck would start up and run at like 3,000 rpm and then when you hit the gas it would just stall.
X2 on the intake leak
also check your MAF (make sure its clean)
and make sure EGR isnt open

Back