• Register Today It's free!

Stalls Suddenly

Rob816

Reaction score
City, State
Jim thorpe,Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer 4wd
Ok I just bought a 1993 Ford Explorer as of yesterday..well today i really went driving it maybe 100-150 miles total to family's house ect. when yesterday i came right home with it...Well 2 times today it just Stalled On me..Both times is when i was stopped at a Redlight.no noises no nothing..just stalled 2 Seperate times..I feel i have a problem and When i am in park and idling it rev's down like it once's to stall every now and then what would cause this..Other than that it drivers Totaly Fine no issues..Could i have a Clogged Fuel Filter or something Similar.Each times it starts Right back up with No problems at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pull the codes... even if the CL isn't on.. From my understanding there could be stored codes

Assuming it runs fine otherwise, my first guess would be a bad IAC valve. It's pretty common on many Fords.

Hmmm i havent drove it at all Yet..But i may start with the Fuel Filter and look into the IAC valve..is there a writeup about that anywhere on here?where is it locateD?

thats a very Good Detailed Writeup about that.But i dont have No humming Noises or nothing.Also seems that before it dies my battery Meter DROPS! down to about 1/4 way then shuts off(i may just be over reacting.)i know the meter moves even when rolling the windows down..Im hoping its not a sign of an alternator going Bad/Battery going bad.But its really not pointing in that Direction..each time it died i did have the Heat Full Blast with the Radio Going.But i will Check air Filters/Fuel filters Today!..Well Hopefully today!haha

thats a very Good Detailed Writeup about that.But i dont have No humming Noises or nothing.Also seems that before it dies my battery Meter DROPS! down to about 1/4 way then shuts off(i may just be over reacting.)i know the meter moves even when rolling the windows down..Im hoping its not a sign of an alternator going Bad/Battery going bad.But its really not pointing in that Direction..each time it died i did have the Heat Full Blast with the Radio Going.But i will Check air Filters/Fuel filters Today!..Well Hopefully today!haha

If it's stalling at idle, the first thing I'd check would be IAC valve. Takes only a minute to pull it off & clean it out... then let it dry completely (may take a while).. and put it back on and fire it up.

If it's stalling at idle, the first thing I'd check would be IAC valve. Takes only a minute to pull it off & clean it out... then let it dry completely (may take a while).. and put it back on and fire it up.

Ok you got a point..it is only doing it at idle..either way i dont really know much history but ill clean that,Wouldnt hurt to change the fuel/air filter as well..

Back