stang 5.0 Computer harness | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

stang 5.0 Computer harness

Well, I couldn't find an engine to computer harness for my 92 T-bird 5.0 H.O engine, So I am going to switch over to a Mustang style intake and distributor. (The T-bird distributor has a remote mounted TFI module) All the sensors, distibutor, and curved intake on my t-bird 5.0 HO resemble that of a 94 Cobra 5.0. Anyway, my question is, can anybody refer me to some good mustang 5.0 sites that have a classified board/ for sale/ WTB board?

SO I can buy a stang harness.

Thanks,
Al

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check summitracing.com. They have two different harnesses for stangs. One is like around 175 I think and the other has larger guage wires and stuff but runs around 475. Hope this helps. I know from the catalog so if it's not online giive them a call.

I have one of those harnesses but unfortunetly it's going with the '93 Cougar 5.0L I have to drop into my Explorer. I do have a Mustang EEC harness, not sure what year it is but I can check if your interested, it would be '89 to '93 MAS less the HEGO harness and intake harness

You can check out http://trader.stangnet.com/ I picked up a few parts (including a wiring harness and computer) there when I did a 4 cyl. to 5.0 conversion on my Mustang.
I think you'll find whatever you need there.
Good luck to you!
Rick

Speedfreak,
I just need the harness that goes from the 2 big round connectors on the intake, to the 60 pin connector on the computer. It needs to be for a 89-93 5.0 HO EFI MAF system though.

Let me know if ya got that.
Thanks,
Al

I will look to night before I go to work for you. I may also be able to answer some of your questions on your web page about vacuum harness etc. I pulled the engine I got out of the donor car and took note of where stuff went so that I could put it back together properly in my truck.:hammer:

Speedfreak,
Let me know....this is good news!!! I also posted a thread on the above mentioned stang trader site just in case.

- DO you still have the computer for it too? or is that pushing it? Like you I have the 92-93 5.0 HO T-bird/ Cougar, setup, which is very different from the Mustang. The curved intake is a real advatage!!!!! Where did you get your engine and harness?

Thanks,
Al
Thanks in advance!!! Like you say......soon to have 5.0L Power

The harness I have is an '87 '88 non MAS but I can modify it to MAS if your interested. I do have the computer for a MAS and the Cougar,but I am going to see which computer is better for power once I get the truck running.

I bought the engine, harness,accesories,computer etc from a local autowrecker I have friends working at. I also worked at a Ford only autowrecker for seven years where I got lots of experience with 5.0L conversions. I have helped in about 20 conversions, including a Bronco II, and have personally done about 6 myself including a FS Bronco and 93 Explorer 2wd 5.0L AOD (runs but still need to put the finishing touches on it). The only thing that is slowing down my conversion right now is the fact that I went back to school full time and am working 2 part-time jobs.

I noticed that you're going to change the intake as well to swap distributors. I'm just curious why? Does the inke interfer with the dist or is it the harness change. If it's the harness change and the different plugs why dont you solder the T-bird plugs onto the Mustang harness and keep the curved intake. The older Mustang intakes will not fit with the A/C box inplace.

If I go to mustang intake and wiring, I would have to change distributors. This is because....The T-bird/Cougar Distributor has a remote mounted TFI module, while the mustang distributor has a TFI module built right in to it. Your 93 Cougar/T-bird 5.0, has a wire with a round connector on it, this goes to remote TFI module.

Your right, I guess I could salvage the t-bird/cougar intake by using a mustang engine harness and soldering all the t-bird sensors to it. (and using the mustang distributor) Notice the Idle air speed sensor is dramitcally different.
I wish I had your cougar/t-bird harness!!!!! I have called up all the local salvage yards....with no avail!!! Whats involved in making a non-maf harness MAF? Are there just empty pin slots on the main 60 pin connector for it? Heres a question for you: Will a TV linkage cable for a AOD and mustang Throtle body, fit a T-bird/cougar Throttle Body? (I ask that, becuase I will probably have not trouble finding one for a Mustang, but not the t-bird setup.

thanks,
al

Thanks,
Al

The only question I have to ask is: "Is the firing order of the T-Bird 5.0 the same as the Mustang 5.0L HO engine?
Was the T-Bird engine an HO or just the plane 5.0?

I know it was two questions, but I know there was a difference along the way and the 5.0L HO started in just the stangs.

I used a '92 Stang as a donor vehicle, took everything I could from the engine bay along with the complete harness assembly. So all I can say is to get a harness from the same year/type vehicle that matches your engine.

Good Luck,
:usa: :chug: :ca:

Sandy,
In 1992-1993 Ford produced a 5.0L High Output Mass air flow engine for the T-bird/Cougar. All the sensors, distibutor, and curved intake on my t-bird 5.0 HO resemble that of a 94 Cobra 5.0.
Due to these engine only being available from 1992-1993, (HO, MAF model), it is extremely hard to find a wiring harness for it! The advatage to using this engine, is the curved intake....for better heater/AC box clearence.

Since I have had no luck finding a donor car, with all the wiring in it, I am just going to change it over to the mustang wiring. Mustang wiring is more readily avail.
Did I answer your question? I guess its just an oddball, limited production engine....?!

Al

PICTURE

Speedfreak, Can you post or e-mail me a picture of the front of your engine. (I need to make sure I have all the correct brackets and pulleys. (PWR Steer, AC, Alt) Thanks
asp84@earthlink.net

The convertion to MAF from speed density is 2 new wires, relocating 2 more and tapping into 12+ and GRND. It's pretty simple and works well on older Mustangs when converting.

I can e-mail the pic, a buddy is going to take it and e-mail it and then I will e-mail it to you. I was stupid and never took any pics of it in the car or even sitting on the engine stand at my buddies shop. As for the detent cable I will have to check to see if it is the same, it looked the same to me. I will double check though.

I did notice that the A/C compressor will most likely not fit because it will be right where the steering box is. So much for my on-board air idea.

Something of interest I found out after I got the engine is that the '93 T-bird/Cougar engine uses the same camshaft that is found in the '93 to '95 Cobra's. From what I can find of specs so far, this cam has more lift and less duration which should make it great for torque.

Speedfreak,
anymore adavatages to the t/bird/cougar setup? What is the horsepower rating mustang vs tbird/cougar 5.0????

Thanks

Its tough to say what the horsepower is on the engines. Ford was playing numbers games with there ratings in those years, '92 Mustang 5.0L H.O. rated at 225hp and 300lbs-ft of torque but in '93 the same engine was only rated at 205hp and 285 lbs-ft of torque. The '94 engines were slugs with there emissions laden computers and were rated at 215hp and 295 lbs-ft of torque. Corba engines of '93 were rated at 235hp but owners say that they putout more like 255 to 265 in bone stock form. The T-bird/Cougar engine is supposed to be rated at 200hp and 285lbs-ft of torque but there is no rating change between 92 and 93. I think it was the old insurance number fudgeing of the sixties all over again. If your run the Mustang computer then go with the Mustang rating for the engine, I think that computer will give the most hp and most aggressive timing and fuel curves. I hope this made some sense.

Just a side note, I had a race car (82 Mustang converted to '93 drivetrain including EFI) years ago that put out 286hp in almost stock form so every engine will of course be alittle different. (port matched lower intake, 65mm throttle and egr, 73mm MAF, 1/2 unequal length hedders, 2 1/2 dual exaust with Dynomax Superturbo's)

NOTE OF INTEREST...

To All 5.0 Conversions,

I was out on the 5.0 Web Site and posted a problem I was having with my 5.0L/Ranger and got the following answer:

Q) High idle, I can be driving along and the vehicle will feel as if it is taking off on its own. If I put the vehicle in neutral the rpm of the engine will be around 1500 to 2000 rpms, whass up?

A) Take apart the two 10 pin connectors attached on the back of the intake, clean the pins and look for back connections. Also squeeze the female connectors a little to tighten them, (now that would be nice if we could do that to our - (sorry family site). Do not squeeze them too much.

So what I am getting to is this, if you have the harness out of the vehicle it would be easier to check out the two ten pin connectors, a lot easier now.
If anyone is having this problem try the answer out.

Good Luck,

Thanks,
Al

Speadfreak,
With my conversion coming up quick, I am having a hard time finding a wire harness that is resonably priced. If yours could be converted to MAF, I would be interested......hey....I'll even test out which computer of yours gives you the biggest perfomance gains...haha :) you can also contact me by e-mail if that easier at: asp84@earthlink.net

Thanks,
Al

Back