Stanislaus nat'l forest and river

LONO100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 sport trac XLT
this post has a ton of pics but i thought i would share to all the nor-cal members and even nevada and so-cal members this beautiful place called the stanislaus nat'l forest. warning: this post is picture heavy!

this particular spot on the river is called candy rock. there are crazy places to cliff dive from, ill post some youtube video. being the old man that i am, i didnt attempt any jumps, my dog has a tendency to do what i do and i didnt want to risk him following me in.

this place is about a 2.5 hour drive from the bay area. basically, you get on 4 east and just keep driving until you get to about angels camp. then just look for forestry road called hunter dam road. its a quick little turn that you can miss very easily so be on the look out. the forestry road is pretty smooth but about a mile in it gets a little rougher, but not too much. then its a fairly easy drive into the gorge with beautiful views for about 5 miles. the road will end and thats where you have to set out on foot. its a short climb down to the river bank and form there its all gravy.

the dogs were pretty juiced to be going on a road trip
037.jpg

in these pics you can somewhat see how the river cuts and carves these ridges. you can see on the left of the first picture the little dirt trail that leads you to the bottom.
058.jpg

047.jpg

here's a few pics where we stopped to take in more of the view
391.jpg

P1050072.jpg

039.jpg

dogs were loving the view
057.jpg

here's the mrs. with the trac
P1050391.jpg

these are a few cool shots i took using a little pool of water that was from the rains. there were still tadpoles in it trying to grow legs before the puddle dried up
P1050074.jpg

P1050077.jpg

P1050076.jpg

074.jpg

here's a shot of a little rapid section on this river
381.jpg

a couple more
107.jpg

131.jpg

124.jpg

100.jpg

191.jpg

283.jpg

100.jpg

the water and current cut these crazy holes into the granite and i am not kidding when i say that the rocks are smoother than glass.
108.jpg

100.jpg

here's an artsy shot i took of the mrs. while she was sunbathing
151.jpg

the dogs had a blast
178.jpg

297.jpg

168.jpg

a couple more shots as we left
385.jpg

062.jpg

391.jpg

hope you guys liked the pics. if anyone in cali needs more info on this place just hit me up. just when i thought ive seen all of california, i find another gem like this. this river is 64 miles long and you could explore it for weeks. im going to plan another trip out there in a few weeks and maybe do a little fishing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Beautiful pics, beautiful scenery, and beautiful dogs! This place makes me wish I lived near some mountains haha. :biggthump

here's a video clip i shot while driving the trail. it gives a little better perspective on how high we were. this was the smoother part of the trail. on the rough patches, i needed both hands to drive and didnt want to risk it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKHa0iUAOak

This makes me miss moving from north Georgia and being so close to the Appalachians. Nice pictures.

Even though I'm in the mountains up here in western Pa. there is many places to go trailin' or offroading unless you know someone with land, even then it's not much more then dirt roads and farm roads.

I seriously miss living in the mountains of eastern Oregon and up in Bellingham, Wash., so many places to go over there. You can go two miles from where I lived in Stanfield, Oregon from the high desert into some serious mountains where it still snows up into May and June.

hey rebel, ill be making my first trip to oregon next week so ill get to see first hand what youre talking about. i hear its beautiful up there. the only thing that sucks is im going up for work and wont have my trac.

Back