• Register Today It's free!

Start Up Issues

pcsullivan91

Reaction score
City, State
Huntersville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport Trac
When I leave my truck over night and crank it in the morning (especially when it's cold), the RPM's are half normal and the truck shakes as if it's going to stall. The lights will flicker and the exhaust smells lean.

After 5-10 second the idle will stabilize or I can manually fix the idle by giving it a little gas. After the idle returns to normal the truck runs and idles fine until the end gets cold again.

Also, might be part of the issue. If I get in my truck, put the key in and turn it without letting the fuel pump fully run the truck will turn over for 10 seconds or so before catching? Slow fuel pump?

recently have changed: fuel filter, spark plugs, PCV, IAC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it throw any codes? Checked the PCV elbow at the front for cracks? Could be a weak fuel pump or the check valve in the pump.

ya it doesn't throw any codes. And it could be the elbow i'll have to check. But isn't the cracked elbow more of a job 2 trac issue? I have the job one with the T bar PCV connector.
Is there a way to check the check valve?
Thank,

well good news is i'm pretty sure it's my fuel pump. bad news is only know this bc truck won't start today...
will keep ya posted

Your signature shows a 2002 model. Job 1/Job 2 only applies to 2001 models in the Gen 1 series. You're confusing me ........... not hard to do, LOL !!

ya sorry man i don't remember how to change my signature. I have a 2001 sport trac currently i used to have an 02 2 door sport way back when. Today my fuel pump was turning on?? is this a sign of faulty fuel pump or bad wiring?

ya sorry man i don't remember how to change my signature.

See you got that changed. Now if the pump issue was that simple.

I have a 2001 sport trac currently i used to have an 02 2 door sport way back when. Today my fuel pump was turning on?? is this a sign of faulty fuel pump or bad wiring?

Are you saying in the past when it wouldn't start the fuel pump wasn't running? I missed that part somewhere. If that's the case you might want to read through the other current pump thread.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296866

Your battery is in tip-top condition too I hope. Weak batteries do bad strange things to these trucks!

Your battery is in tip-top condition too I hope. Weak batteries do bad strange things to these trucks!
no actually my battery is a couple years old.

Let me be more detailed things are getting weird.

Ok so Yesterday afternoon i wen't to start my truck but i noticed the fuel pump wouldnt kick on. the engine was rolling over fine but even with a couple of tries, nothing. I assumed faulty pump and spent the afternoon trying to track down a replacement.
Today I went back to my truck with my code scanner. Put the keys in to on position and "errrr" fuel pump kicks on.. weird right? Go to start the truck, won't turn over just the typical dead battery clicking (all lights/radio/fuel pump were working though)
Got my buddy to jump me for ***** and giggles and the what do you know.. truck starts but won't hold idle. Without hitting the gas truck would choke out. After fiddling with the gas pedal and keeping the rpms at 1000 for a minute or so truck runs and idles fine (this is how it's been since i got the truck 3 months ago whenever i start the truck cold)....
Obviously somethings wrong. Got battery checked out and they said it wasn't done but wouldnt hold a full charge meaning its not in the best of shape (its from 04)

Hope this is more helpful. I'm baffled, was going to check fuel preasure tomorrow as a start any ideas?

I'd start off with a new battery. If it's from '04 you're due for one, that's 6 years old! (I'm putting one in my wife's Mustang today. Hers is from '04.) If you're having trouble with it now it's only going to get worse as winter arrives. As I said, bad/weak batteries do weird stuff to these trucks. Seems like Group 65 batteries have some unusual characteristics, IDK, just my observations.

ok i'll get a new battery today and keep you updated on any changes. thanks for all the help man.

ok update:
New battery was a necessity i think my old bat was just about shot and was contributing to why my fuel pump wouldn't turn on the other morning.

As for my starting issue problem... it continued, so i did some reading.
Wound up replacing my intake manifold gaskets bc I read elsewhere on here that when your engine was cold the gaskets would shrink causing a rough idle and when they warmed up they'd expand and your truck would run well. This was exactly what I was experiencing and the solution made sense.
For 15 bucks I decided to go for it. Took 2 hours but wasn't hard work and the end result is she is starting beautifully now even on the coldest of mornings! So glad to fix this issue thats been bothering me since i got my truck a few months ago!

Nice find! Glad you got it all smoothed out!

Back