Starter Help- 1991 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starter Help- 1991 Explorer

LoveMyExploder

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
Does anyone have a photo or link to a manual with where the starter is on a 1991 Explorer? I just can't seem to find it anywhere.

I had found a thread searching (that I've lost now) with exactly how to change it also. My problem is that I know I can do this, I just don't know where to begin.

Problem with the Explorer- doesn't start, makes the "Click" noise. I've had this same noise on my Ranger and it was also the starter. I've had the Exploder 8 years and not once changed the starter, so I'm due for one anyway.

Thanks for any help, no I'm not a car person, so if you ask me something about it, please make it in stupid terms. I can rip a part off and replace it quite well, I just need it put in how you'd tell a 1st grader. :)

0996b43f80202a09.gif

The starter is located on the drivers side of the motor, below the exhaust manifold.

It's not super easy to get to with wrenches, but you can get to it from the front with sockets and extensions, then finish removing the nuts and stud with wrenches. Be careful when removing, it's heavy. Be sure to disconnect the battery terminals at the battery FIRST, and also remove the power wire to the starter solenoid on the starter. There is one big wire held on with a nut, and other wire that is on there with a pushed-on spade terminal that should be removed gently.

The stock motorcraft starter is pretty heavy duty and you can save money by replacing the starter brush assembly instead of the entire starter with a cheap replacement.

x379_1.jpg

To replace the assembly, you simply remove the end cap of the starter, loosen the nut holding the solenoid wire, remove the old brush assembly, push on the new one, put the solenoid wire back on, and replace the end cap.

It's worth noting that the brush assembly is made for lots of Ford vehicles from the 90's and 2000's, not just the Explorer, so you may have to try having the counter person look up other Ford vehicles to get you the right part if buying at an auto parts store.

Thank you so much! This is perfect!

Once I got the underside of it cleaned up some (oil, road dirt, whatever else all that stuff under there was) I located the starter and I'm getting ready to go bust my knuckles on it. :)

Back