Starter issues, and some links wanted. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starter issues, and some links wanted.

Twenty

Reaction score
City, State
Skåne - Sweden
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer v6 - 97
Hey everyone, new to the forum.

I've recently bought a Explorer 97.
Got some small questions about it. Since I live in Sweden it's quite the rare car, parts and knowledge about the car is hard to get overhere.

Anyhow.
My car is a explorer from 97 with barley any milage on it. Been stood still for the most of its life. So quite a find, and good condition. Always wanted a explorer, ever since I was 8 years old (I'm now 27) so getting this car is like a real dream.... Don't ask me why I love this model. Anyway.

Where does everyone buy their parts? Been using Rockauto. But I'd love to know more places where I can find original parts for my beloved car.

Secondly having some starter problems. From reading the other threads here it sounds like the starter needs to get changed. It clicks when I turn the key. But I figured it's stuck on a cog. Since it's a loud mechanical click(at every key turn) After several turns of the key, it starts up. Sometimes it starts directly on one key turn. But just got a new starter for about 120$.

But all helpful links and hints are welcome. Thanks again! Have a great day and take care everyone!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RockAuto is a very good source for your parts. I often buy my parts from them unless it's something I need immediately. Then I may go to one of our local discount auto parts stores. I also often buy off eBay if I find a good price with free shipping and sometimes off Amazon using Prime for free shipping. The one thing you have to watch out for with RockAuto is the shipping costs when your ordering multiple parts and it tells you "ships from multiple warehouses". Are you aware that forum members get a 5% discount from RockAuto?

Was not aware of the discount. Thanks for that!

Was not aware of the discount. Thanks for that!

Search the forum for the current Rock Auto discount code and enter it when checking out in the box that says "how did you hear about us".

Hey everyone,

I feel horrible to ask this forum about yet another starter issue, but here goes.

So my starter started to mess around again (I have not changed it yet). Did a search of the forum but didn't find the same diagnose as mine.

My car starts 90% if I turn on the ignition wait 2seconds, and then turn the key to start the car. The starter jumps on, dies for half a second and then the car starts like it should. 10% of the time nothing happens for several tries (Everything between 1 try to 20 tries before it decides to start again)

My friend says it's the starter. I say it's electrical. Any idea what it could be?
The car has been stood still for the past few years before I bought it. With 12000KM on it (7500 miles)

(I THINK my car is a 97. The Swedish goverment is unsure what date it's made. Since in their system they say its made 1995, it's a GEN 2)

Thanks again
Nick

Back