• Register Today It's free!

Starter Just Clicks !!

V8Exploder

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT V8
My friend has a 95 Ranger 3.0 5spd. It has been clicking every time you hit the key to start it. So he replaced the battery, wasnt it, so he comes over yesterday, we replace the starter, wasnt it, we replace the solenoid, wasnt it. However, when you bypass the solenoid (touch the two posts with a screwdriver) it starts ever time, and it pop starts just fine too. What the hell else could it be ????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never absolutely say something isn't the problem. Jumpering the solenoid is a pretty good indication of a solenoid problem. Instead of jumpering it, take a wire from the positive terminal to the small post and see if it works. There could be a voltage loss through the key and tranny interlock enough to make it thunk a little bit, but not fully pull in. Could also be bad grounding where the solenoid mounts. Could also a bad ground from the engine block to the car body. Look to see if the batt meter drops (if it has one) when the key is turned to start or the lights dim. Another test would be to run a #12 wire from the solenoid mounting screw to the engine block. I think the real problem has nothing to do with cranking the engine.

Good advice from OperaHouse... Several other members have reported similar problems. It turned out to be corroded battery wires. The wires allowed enough current to operate minor stuff, but didn't have the capacity to fire up the starter...

Had the same problem as you, and it turned out to be and extremely corroded + cable. Check that first.

Oh yeah, we replaced the + battery cable as well with a factory piece. The negative doesnt go bad, does it ? And if it was battery cable, it would make the click even if I jumped the solenoid. The lights do dim when the starter is hit, but not more than normal really. Thanks for the help guy ! what about the key thing ? or the ignition ? that is what I'm thinking

Back