Starter motor? Ford.. | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Starter motor? Ford..

NorwegianFord

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '91 XLT
Hi! Ford Mondeo -96, V6.

Sometimes when starting, there is a lot of "noise" and "rattling". Sometimes it won't start until after turning the key for about 10- 15 seconds.. Could it be as easy as changing the starter motor? There is also a more quiet rattling noise on the other side of the engine (passenger side) that is making me a little more worried.. Could it somehow be related to the starter motor?

I had a look at the starter motor (to see if anything was loose), to do that you have to remove the air filter. When removing the filter, I found some oil between filter and intake.. Normal? Any help (that will keep me away from the stealerships shop :) ) is appreciated. Don't mind doing the work myself, only need some help with finding out whats wrong..

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

NorwegianFord

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '91 XLT
Pic.. The "noise" on the passenger side comes and goes when the motor is running..

Attachments

• 69_241.JPG
    69_241.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,617
<

SVO

Moderator Emeritus/Doctor
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Bastrop/Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
Turbocharged Navajo LX
Noise = Timming chain guides/tensioner

Oil = Clogged or faulty PCV system

Starter = high ampreage draw/faulty bendix

All of these are hypothetical but a good place to start.

Jeff - :navajo:

<

<

Texan01

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
I'll second what SVO said.

I saw the pic and thought, ' that looks familar' and sure enough you and I have the same engine compartment. I've got an '00 Contour/Mondeo sadly though mine's the 4 cylinder version.

The starter on my Explorer came apart one day and I screwed it back together it literally 8unscrewed the starter solenoid off. Then a few weeks later it completely died.

You might also give a look at www.contour.org

<