Starter replacement problems

halo15

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 mountain 5.0
Just pulled out the old and replaced with a new OEM starter for my 99 explorer. Tried cranking her up and all I keep gettng is a spinning noise now. The starter is definately working but doesnt seem to be catching. I could still start the engine with the old one but it was on its way out.

Did I miss something when putting the new one in - Cant seem to figure this out.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bench test the starter to make sure the solenoid is working properly. Search Google for "bench test starter" if you need more info. Also I guess make sure you have the correct starter - sometimes people at the parts counter mess up or the starter in the box is the wrong one.

The starter that I installed was new OEM - not rebuilt. Could this be something other than a bad starter??? All I hear is the spinning of the starter....

I'll give it a try

Spoke with NSA - stated that they may have switched the wiring on the nuts at plant but very unlikely......

Sucks having to take the whole thing out again.........

While you have it out, inspect the teeth on the flywheel. If they look ok, then it sounds like a starter problem. When you bench test it, you need to make sure that the starter gear is kicking in.

Back