Starter spins won't engage flywheel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starter spins won't engage flywheel

DemoXide☣️

Reaction score
City, State
Mission Viejo CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer V6 4.0L. SO
1st post so ty in advance for any help
Flashing check engine light as I pass local AutoZone. so I pull in to use their OBD2 scan tool which gives error codes in cylinder 1 and cylinder 5 misfires upon returning to my vehicle attempt to start and starter spins but won't engage the flywheel have it towed home buy a new starter install it and still the same problem. Flywheel teeth looked fine. Also when turn ignition key I first quickly hear a single hammer strike sound( presume starter thrusting out to engage) and then just the whine of starter spinning. A penny for. your thoughts or your 2cents worth is appreciated 🔧🔧🔧

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you test the old starter before replacing?
Did you test the "new" starter before it was installed?

Sometime throwing junque parts at a problem opens
new cans of worms!
You might want to pull the starter and test it 1st.
unless the flex plate sheared but, that make a heck
of a racket.

Did you test the old starter before replacing?
Did you test the "new" starter before it was installed?

Sometime throwing junque parts at a problem opens
new cans of worms!
You might want to pull the starter and test it 1st.
unless the flex plate sheared but, that make a heck
of a racket.
Did not bench test old or new one presumed new one since not reman would work fine. also heard that bench test won't test the Bendix.

A broken flywheel won’t necessarily make any sound. I broke the flywheel in my second Explorer and it wasn’t obvious. When it first happened I thought I broke the

I doubt that’s the case here, they generally fail while driving.

What was the brand of starter used? Still have the old one?

Bench testing should certainly activate the starters drive.

@DemoXide

Put a socket on the crankshaft, manually turn the engine over 1/4 to 1/2 a turn, and then try starting your engine with the (a) starter.

My idea is that manually turning the engine over 1/4 to 1/2 a turn will expose a "new" flexplate engagement surface to the starter motor.

If the engine starts, I'd guess that your problem is flexplate related.

Hope that helps!

1st post so ty in advance for any help
Flashing check engine light as I pass local AutoZone. so I pull in to use their OBD2 scan tool which gives error codes in cylinder 1 and cylinder 5 misfires upon returning to my vehicle attempt to start and starter spins but won't engage the flywheel have it towed home buy a new starter install it and still the same problem. Flywheel teeth looked fine. Also when turn ignition key I first quickly hear a single hammer strike sound( presume starter thrusting out to engage) and then just the whine of starter spinning. A penny for. your thoughts or your 2cents worth is appreciated 🔧🔧🔧
Might have been installed crooked and the teeth do not engage. Happened to me once.

Just a thought... Have you checked battery? Terminals? Cables?

Good luck.

@DemoXide

Put a socket on the crankshaft, manually turn the engine over 1/4 to 1/2 a turn, and then try starting your engine with the (a) starter.

My idea is that manually turning the engine over 1/4 to 1/2 a turn will expose a "new" flexplate engagement surface to the starter motor.

If the engine starts, I'd guess that your problem is flexplate related.

Hope that helps!
good thought it's a tight spot and tried a 13/16 which I remember my friends old mustang had but couldn't get the socket to fit at least not doing it blind. What size socket do I need for the crankshaft

Just a thought... Have you checked battery? Terminals? Cables?

Good luck.
I did with a quick inspection but starter motor is spinning fast and free so figured it was getting plenty of juice

Might have been installed crooked and the teeth do not engage. Happened to me once.

A broken flywheel won’t necessarily make any sound. I broke the flywheel in my second Explorer and it wasn’t obvious. When it first happened I thought I broke the

I doubt that’s the case here, they generally fail while driving.

What was the brand of starter used? Still have the old one?

Bench testing should certainly activate the starters drive.
Original was the stock motorcraft. (stilt have it). I installed a new duralast (fools) Gold

Does anyone think the Error codes po301 and po305 (1and 5 cylinder misfire) which happened mins before starter issue is related ???

The misfire won’t have anything to do with the starter. Power up the old Motorcraft and test the drive/freewheel spin. Then go from there.

Crankshaft bolt should be 3/4" or 19MM (same thing).

Bench-testing the starter should allow you to see if the Bendix is being thrown out.

Are you sure they sold you the correct starter for your vehicle? Automatic trans and manual trans starters are usually different.

When you turn the key to START the starter motor and Bendix are simultaneously engaged. One should never engage w/out the other.

Are you sure they sold you the correct starter for your vehicle? Automatic trans and manual trans starters are usually different.
OP, I would check on this, I’ve had this happen to me.

good thought it's a tight spot and tried a 13/16 which I remember my friends old mustang had but couldn't get the socket to fit at least not doing it blind. What size socket do I need for the crankshaft

@DemoXide

The Crank Bolt on an OHV is 3/4" - I would think it's the same on the SOHC as well since they're both made in Cologne Germany...

thanks for all the ideas and advice. so tried manually turning crankshaft starter still wouldn't engage.
Bench tested old motor craft and Bendix failed. .
Double checked product number of brand new dural@st gold and it is for my automatictransmission 4 0L V6 SOhC.

Do I need to bench test the p- new one that I already installed maybe I didn't 00)l tight enough or something because I presume it's od if it's brand new it's not remanufactuer

thanks for all the ideas and advice. so tried manually turning crankshaft starter still wouldn't engage.
Bench tested old motor craft and Bendix failed. .
Double checked product number of brand new dural@st gold and it is for my automatictransmission 4 0L V6 SOhC.

Do I need to bench test the p- new one that I already installed maybe I didn't 00)l tight enough or something because I presume it's od if it's brand new it's not remanufactuer

You can bench test the new one, or take it back to Autozone and have them test it in there machine, but I can't think of any reason (assuming you have the right starter) that would prevent the Bendix from extending/engaging other than a bad Bendix, or something going on with your flexplate/ring gear. I also don't understand how you can install a starter incorrectly, but apparently someone has managed to do it. The top bolt is a bit of a pain to install and tighten, but with the correct length extension it's really not that difficult on a 2WD. On a 4WD the front driveshaft is in the way. After rebuilding my 4.0L SOHC engine and reinstalling it I reinstalled my starter 2 weeks ago. The hardest part was reattaching the small wire to the Bendix, which probably took me all of 2 mins.

You can bench test the new one, or take it back to Autozone and have them test it in there machine, but I can't think of any reason (assuming you have the right starter) that would prevent the Bendix from extending/engaging other than a bad Bendix, or something going on with your flexplate/ring gear. I also don't understand how you can install a starter incorrectly, but apparently someone has managed to do it. The top bolt is a bit of a pain to install and tighten, but with the correct length extension it's really not that difficult on a 2WD. On a 4WD the front driveshaft is in the way. After rebuilding my 4.0L SOHC engine and reinstalling it I reinstalled my starter 2 weeks ago. The hardest part was reattaching the small wire to the Bendix, which probably took me all of 2 mins.
I agree was the easiest fix I've done so far the hardest part was finding my 13mm 1/4 drive socket to get at that top bolt

Update
Thanks for all the help.
So It failed a compression test. And at this point thinking if getting a rebuilt engine or just scraping the whole thing. Kars 4 kids donation. I would prefer to part it out but I can't keep it stored here at the house. Any suggestions anyone need important part off 2000 2wd 4.0L SOHC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Crankshaft bolt should be 3/4" or 19MM (same thing).

Bench-testing the starter should allow you to see if the Bendix is being thrown out.

When you turn the key to START the starter motor and Bendix are simultaneously engaged. One should never engage w/out the other.

Back