Starter whoa's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starter whoa's

Keith C

Reaction score
I have a 1992 Ford Explorer, Eddie Bauer series with a 4.0 engine, automatic, 4x4. Starter spins however it does not engage in fly wheel. Starter tested good at local parts store. Bought new starter same spin. Fly wheel appears to be good no teeth chewed or missing. Rotated fly wheel a few inches to rule out warp same results. Electrical has no obvious problems. Looking for some info, thanks. Keith

Is the starter you got a rebuilt? I have heard of them being bad when purchased..Pull the starter back out, either its binding or the bendix is bad..I check my own, but do not recomend what I'm about to tell you. I is dangeress..Ground the starter to thr frame of the truck, the radiator support will work. with all of your bodyparts clear off the nose of the starter, I engage it buy hooking wire to large post on starter and briefly touching it to the positive post on the battery..If the gear comes forward , it's good and you know its binding somewhere..

I'm not positive about the design of the explorer ones, but on some there is a solenoid mounted on the side of the starter that kicks the bendix out. Often, on these vehicles, there is a remote solenoid on the firewall or the fender well that spins the starter motor alone. It's possible to get the starter to spin but not kick out if the solenoid on the side of the starter isn't getting juice for some reason. If yours has the solenoid on the side of the starter, try connecting a jumper wire from the large terminal to the small terminal to make sure it gets juice when you crank it. Also, if you have this starter, make sure you have the small wire connected to the proper terminal on the starter... there's two, but only one of them will energize the solenoid.

Check it out and let us know.

-Joe-

Back