Starting and then dying | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starting and then dying

Ebsorny

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT 5.0 V8
I have a 98 Ford Explorer XLT with the 5.0 V8 that will start up and then die immediately. It does not do it every time I start the vehicle. If I give it gas, for roughly 5 seconds it will then continue running and not die. This started about 6 months ago. I have since replaced an O2 sensor, throttle position sensor, and camshaft synchronizer and sensor. I have also replaced the radiator but I don't believe that's causing this. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fuel pump? Fuel filter? Have you checked the fuel pressure at the fuel rail?

Fuel pump? Fuel filter? Have you checked the fuel pressure at the fuel rail?
I changed fuel filter last September. No I haven't checked fuel pressure at the fuel rail. How would I do that?

Well I took the IAC valve off to clean it, saw how bad it looked, covered in dirt and just looked to be in extremely poor shape. Good news is it idles better, bad news is it still dies occasionally. Got a code for my catalytic converter when I took it to O'Reillys. Also they said something about a left side speed sensor.

I recently had a similar issue with our '98 Mountaineer with the 5.0. It would have trouble starting and then idling after it had been driven for awhile or had warmed up to operating temperature. I changed the fuel pressure regulator in it yesterday and so far it seems to be running much, much better.

I recently had a similar issue with our '98 Mountaineer with the 5.0. It would have trouble starting and then idling after it had been driven for awhile or had warmed up to operating temperature. I changed the fuel pressure regulator in it yesterday and so far it seems to be running much, much better.

I agree - it it's happening when the engine is between warm and cold, I would look into fuel pressure regulator or maybe a stuck fuel injector.

Failing coolant temp sensor that talks to PCM could also be the issue. Good luck.

Back