• Register Today It's free!

Starting Body Lift Tomorrow

NewTrac17

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac XLT 4X4
I am planning on starting the body lift tomorrow as soon as it arrives, and hopefully finishing it Saturday. Looking at other body lift threads, looks like I have all the tools needed, but have a few questions after skimming over the install instructions.

1. I didn't get a chance to look under the hood today, but looks like you remove the radiator from the core support in the first few steps, then what? Does it just stand on something else while you work on the rest of the truck?

2. In regards to the body mounts/bushings right under the front doors. Basically you remove the body mount/bushing that is is connected to the washer underneath which you held with a vise grip to loosen the bolt and then drill a hole through the whole thing. Is this correct? I guess what I am wondering is why these two need to be drilled out. Without seeing the kit it is hard to picture why.

Straight from the install guide:

"ONLY DRILL OUT FRONT CORE SUPPORT TOP
AND LOWER BUSHINGS as directed in the following
procedure. Core support mounts are forward most cab
mounts. Drilling any other cab mount bushings will not
allow for proper installation of kit."

"Using a 1/2” drill bit, drill the threads out of the
core support top and bottom bushings (170 and
118) ONLY. Position drilled top bushing back on
passenger side core support (8)."

3. I assume that one of the "spacer blocks" is smaller in diameter, not height?

Lift the bed (101) passenger’s side just high
enough to position kit 3” x 3” spacer block (123)
and kit 2” x 3” spacer block (129) on the frame
mounting pads (64).

4. What is the "tool/socket/hex" required to remove the bed bolts.

Sorry for all the questions, I don't have the kit yet, so it is hard for me to picture the different parts.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's been a while since I've done my body lift, so I can't answer your questions. Sorry.

I'm curious, though, as to whether or not you are replacing/upgrading your body mount bushings as well as the lift. If not, I'd suggest doing them at the same time since you've got everything apart as they seem to be going out for a lot of people here - myself included. Doing it now will save you the hassle of having to do it later.

Otherwise, have fun. It wasn't too bad at all. :thumbsup:

By following the instructions, I have so far answered all my questions except number 2, but I will figure it out tomorrow and hopefully finish the lift.

The kit arrived before lunch today, so was able to get started. Mostly I have been answering my own questions as I am going along, and so far everything is going pretty good. Few small things to do, but basically ready to loosen the body bolts and install the lift.

I decided not to do the body bushings at the same time because mine look okay for now, and if I decide to do it later, then it shouldn't be to bad.

Regarding question 2: I really can't think of any reason you would need to drill through the A-pillar mounts. I certainly don't remember doing that. There was something funky with the radiator core support mounts but I can't remember what that was. Otherwise, it's just remove, insert lift block, install longer bolt and move on. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

To directly answer your question, I don't think you need to drill anything at this stage.

Might be a little late but the bed bolts are T55 Torx bit.

Just have the bumpers and putting the interior back together for tomorrow morning.
Offtrac - the very front mounts/bushings threads have to be drilled out.

01STrunner - yeah the bed bolt was a T55 torx bit.

1. Just make sure the radiator is free of the front of the body when lifting. (free of interference with the header panel?)

2. The very front mounts/bushings (A -pillar mounts) have to be drilled out because the new bolt is to big to thread thorough the existing threads.

3. The 2” x 3” spacer block goes in the very back of the bed.

4. The bed bolts require a T55 torx bit.

Thanks for all the advice given! Opening the kit and getting dirty helped answer the questions I had and I was able to learn as I went.

Thanks again! I will try to upload some pics when I get it done.

See, not that bad, huh? Glad to hear it's gone well so far.

See, not that bad, huh? Glad to hear it's gone well so far.

Yeah, now that the hard part is done, I am glad I decided to do it myself. As long as you have a buddy for loosening a few of the stubborn body bolts, you are good to go. I would probably do it again and it would go a lot faster the second time around.

Only had my truck a week and already, for the most part, have a body lift installed. Lol. The awesome pics on here have definitely motivated me to get it done.

Nothing beats being able to look at a new upgrade and say "I did that." Glad to hear it went smoothly and hopefully the bumpers will as well knock on wood. They have me a bit if trouble when I did mine but my front was already a little bent upwards so I think that was the main problem for me. If you want real pictures of where to cut them and everything I can post a link to my album on photobucket that has a bunch in there.

Nothing beats being able to look at a new upgrade and say "I did that." Glad to hear it went smoothly and hopefully the bumpers will as well knock on wood. They have me a bit if trouble when I did mine but my front was already a little bent upwards so I think that was the main problem for me. If you want real pictures of where to cut them and everything I can post a link to my album on photobucket that has a bunch in there.

Plus when you do stuff yourself you get a "lifetime warranty".

Some pictures would be great! I think I will leave the tow hooks off for now, so I don't have to do more trimming until I buy a brush guard. If I make a custom brush guard bracket, then I might be able to limit the amount of trimming needed. On your body lift form I remember you having an issue with your front bumper. Haven't really looked at what needs to be trimmed yet, but it will come together one way or another. First more trimming, then a big hammer.

Forgot to mention that a tube used for leverage on a ratchet would have sped the process of removing the body bolts. Using a breaker bar most of the way took a little more time, but wasn't too bad.

Plus when you do stuff yourself you get a "lifetime warranty".

Some pictures would be great! I think I will leave the tow hooks off for now, so I don't have to do more trimming until I buy a brush guard. If I make a custom brush guard bracket, then I might be able to limit the amount of trimming needed. On your body lift form I remember you having an issue with your front bumper. Haven't really looked at what needs to be trimmed yet, but it will come together one way or another. First more trimming, then a big hammer.

Forgot to mention that a tube used for leverage on a ratchet would have sped the process of removing the body bolts. Using a breaker bar most of the way took a little more time, but wasn't too bad.

Here's the pictures. There's a few that show my shift linkage that was pulled a little too far but it was caught on something and is easy to figure out. There's a couple pictures that show trimming to fit 35s which is not much at all to be honest.

http://s1200.photobucket.com/user/01STrunner/library/Body%20Lift%20Stuff

I hear ya on the breaker bar. There's a lotta threads on those bolts!

Glad to hear it went well. What are you going to do for tires once you see the munchkin tires afterwards?

Glad to hear it went well. What are you going to do for tires once you see the munchkin tires afterwards?

Finished 99% of the body lift today. Spent way to long trying to get the radiator just right and the AC hose away from danger. Decided to go a more permanent route than a zip tie. I still need to put the plastic skid plate on, a few interior pieces, and the front bumper may need a slight adjustment. (there is a small, barely noticeable gap between the fender and the front bumper. Some trimming of the bumper cover should fix this, but it looks good either way.) Drove it a few miles and it feels about the same as before, probably because I have only had it a week. Lol

As for tires, not sure how big I want to go because I don't want to get a tire that will start tearing things apart and I still want the stock power/performance. I was thinking of maybe mb chaos 5 rims and 315/70/17 kelly safari tsr tires, but that is just over a 34" tire.

34s? Damn! What gears do you have?

4.10 limited slip. I don't think I will go that big yet. 33's at the max with stock gears. I would like my truck to last a long long time without rebuilding the trans or engine. Plus the bigger the tire, the more stock power/performance I will lose.

Yep. I had 3.55s but swapped to 4.56 gears. I've now got basically the same overall gearing as stock size tires with 4.10 gears which is great (I've got 33s). Rpms aren't too high on the highway, gas mileage isn't horrible, it still tows when it needs to and crawls along great on the trails. If I go with 35s, I'll still be in decent shape too.

Good to hear that the body lift went well. Now I'll just sit patiently like everyone else and wait for the pics. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here are some pics, maybe. If I can figure out how to post them. I installed a new hitch and bug shield today, but took the pictures before. Looks taller in person.

Day I bought it:
SportTrac2001_zps87e6e74f.jpg

A week later:
SportTrac2022_zps5428af64.jpg

Back