Starting issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starting issues

raysum

Reaction score
I have been having starting problems with my ex for the last month or so. I have researched on here but I am confused on what my issue is. When I go to crank my ex. it will turn over and the starter works fine but no ignition. I give it some gas and try it a few more times and it will crank and run fine. Occasionally I will get a backfire that will knock a hose on the vacuum tree or blow off one of the caps, once again I give it a few minutes give it gas and it cranks right up.
I have noticed that if I give my ex. gas right as I cut off the engine then I will not have the starting problem. I at first thought it could be my IAC but I am not sure anymore and would appreciate any thoughts on this!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What year, how many miles, any codes?

It is a 1993 with 183,000 miles on it. I am not pulling codes because the check engine light is not coming on. Thanks!

Could be any number of things. I would start with the simple things. First, go ahead and replace the fuel filter if you haven't already. The filter may be clogged and not allowing fuel to flow freely to the engine. Could be the pump, relay for the pump, etc. Also, check the fuel pressure and make sure that it is up to spec. If you pop the hood and smell vapors around the center of the engine or on the driver's side firewall then you could have a prob with the fuel pressure regulator(located on the passenger side of the intake towards the front of the X, has two vaccum lines running into it and one hard line running into the top of it), or the purge solenoid(looks like a small coffee can just in front of the master cylinder), could also be the purge valve that comes off of the solenoid(vaccum line that runs into the intake, just after the solenoid going towards the intake. Looks kinda like a "T") If you replace the fuel filter and the fuel pressure is within spec, then start the X and see if the problem persists, if so then move on to the other things that are mentioned above. As I said, could be any number of things, but this should get you started. :)

Don't forget to check for the obvious things, i.e., spark plugs and wires, clean the IAC,MAF,etc.

You should pull the codes. It can throw a code and not have the CEL on.

Back