Starting my spark plug replacement project | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starting my spark plug replacement project

Ziggy75

Reaction score
City, State
Reed City - Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limited 4.6
I picked up a set of Autolite HT-1 plugs and started my replacement. I did purchase the plug extractor kit for added insurance. Tonight, I pulled the coils and sprayed carb cleaner into plug openings. I turned the plugs about an 1/8 turn and after the carb cleaner evaporated I soaked the plugs down with pb plaster. I am going to let it sit over night and tackle it tomorrow. Wish me luck!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm assuming you have a heated garage. I wouldn't feel too inspired to tackle a job like that at 15°F! You should be OK if you don't spare the PBB or patience.

YOU CAN DO IT!

lol.. Yes I do have a heated garage. Well, I dont but my dad does. I DEFINITELY would not be doing this outside right now. It is too darn cold out right now here in Michigan. Like I said, its been sitting overnight with the PB Blaster soaking on the plugs. Lots of patience will be necessary I feel. These plugs felt pretty tight so I am a little intimidated.

Good luck....high stress work!

Repeat the PB few times, turning the plugs just a little every time back and forth. Once you have the plugs out, crank the motor without the plugs to extract the PB blaster from combustion chambers. It's very unlikely, but if you spray a lot of it there, you can hydrolock the motor and bend something.

If the plugs are already turning a little it sounds like you are in business! Let the PB soak as long as possible.

Alright guys.. I finished changing the plugs. I must say that it was a little bit of a pain but at the same time it wasnt as bad as it could have been. I ended up breaking every plug but one. Funny thing is that these plugs turned very easy from the very beginning. When the first plug came out I was like.. yeah! Then I realized the plug was stuck in the head. I used needle nosed pliars to pull out and then realized the bottom was stuck in head. This was the case for every plug but one. The rear passenger side. When I got to that plug it turned really hard but came out in one piece. I had the plug extractor tool and it was a must! Anyway, car runs better now and no stumbling or bucking at WOT.

Wow, that must have been one long never enging spark plug job. Glad to hear that you fixed the WOT issues.

It is a night and day difference in the way it runs. Before the plug change, it would kick out of OD every time I would go up a hill. At WOT it would buck severely and constantly sputter when trying to accelerate in the slightest bit. I have only noticed it kick out of OD once. I find that I avg around 23 mpg around 55 mph and 19 mpg at 75 mph.

I had one big issue with a certain plug. The rear driver side plug broke when coming out but the biggest issue was that the electrode stuck in the end inside the head. When using the tool to remove, it broke a small piece of the end of the plug off and went inside the cylinder. I pretty worried because this piece was inside the cylinder and who knows what could happen. I took the air compressor and blew out a lot of chunks that came apart as a result of plug breaking. The only thing I could do was put the new plug in and start it up. I put everything back together and I did hear some clattering in that cylinder for approximately 5 minutes. After about 5 minutes the noise was gone and I have not heard it since. Definitely not something I would wish for anyone to have to deal with. I am just glad that it is done and over with.

Btw, has anyone had good luck with the accel coils? Anyone notice an improvement in power or gas mileage?

Back