• Register Today It's free!

starting out in 3rd gear

vipersinu2

Reaction score
City, State
The Big City of Orange City, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Navigator 450hp
4.6 3v, awd, I was in reverse backing out of the drive way, when I went to drive I bypassed drive and was in drive 3, it sounded like the tranny was slipping, but actually was starting out in drive 3. is that normal?

My '04 does the same thing and I was wondering about that too. I have had my 'ex for about 4 years and just noticed it. It must be a "Ford thing". The non-computerized F250 that I used to drive (may have been a 1979 or similar year) did the same the same thing with it's 3-speed automatic - with the selector in the 2 position, it would start out in 2nd.

I keep the transmission temperature as one of the items displayed on my scanguage - and you wouldn't want to start out very many times in 3rd, the trans temp goes up above normal really fast when you do this.

Selecting 1, 2 or 3 holds that gear. While starting in a higher gear may help traction under slippery conditions, the other popular use is for engine braking on hill descents, etc. Most vehicles have a similar feature, but perhaps not so many gears to choose from.

You can also disengage sixth gear (overdrive) using the button on the side of the shifter. Mainly used for engine braking and preventing hunting between gears in hilly terrain.

Back