• Register Today It's free!

Starting Problem

englishowner

Reaction score
City, State
Manchester, England
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Hello all. New member here with a problem. Every now and again, after running fine, my @98 XLT will not restart. The battery is fine and the starter spins over merrily but it doesnt show any interest in firing. Eventually after leaving it for a while (maybe 30mins or so) it will fire up first time. I feel it is a fuel problem but I would appreciate it if anyone else out there has suffered the same problem could let me know the cure! It has done 50 thou and has been converted to LPG but I dont think that contributes as it does it when there is no LPG gas in the tank also. :mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mate. clean your maff sensor and pop and bottle of injecter cleaner in the tank, also check your air filter is in goog condition, last after all this is disconect battery for half hour to reset ecu and it will drive like a bugger for a few miles whilst it learns that maff is clean and injectors are clean.

Goog luck
let me know how you get on!

Cheers mate. Just tell me what my maff sensor is and I will be all over it!! Replaced Air filter with a K&N recently.

This is it
airbox1.JPG

starting fault

Hi Fellas

I had a similar problem but it was not the fuel. it was a cable that plugs into the bottom of the crank caseing at the front of the engine that was loose. (the nice man from the AA fix it in a jiffy) he said it is a common problem.

Good Luck

Thanks guys. I will scour the maff and check the heck out of my crank cables this very minute (well, after I finish me brew that is!). Howard, when dealing with me, pictures are always the best way forward. Thanks for the effort.

Clean maff and injectors. Just happened again and now the transmission light is showing constantly. I dont have a clue what to do as a dealer will just rip me off with no guarantee of the problem being resolved.

Back