• Register Today It's free!

starting problem

johncroce

Reaction score
City, State
Chesapeake, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
I was driving when the explorer just shut off. There was a small pop noise and then it went dead. I pulled over and tried to start her but it just wouldn't turn over, it tries and sounds like it wants to but it just doesn't do it. At first I thought it was the fuel pump, so I replaced it along with the fuel filter. No change. I checked my spark plugs, they're good. I have a fuel regulator with a place for a vacuum hose but I don't think that it was ever hooked up. I checked the fuses and they're good. I'm stumped, any suggestions?
Thanks
John

Welcome to this forum! Do you have a check engine light come on when you turn your key to the accessory position? If not, then your PCM relay might be defective. If you don't hear your fuel pump prime for a few seconds when you turn your key to the accessory position, then your fuel pump relay might be defective.

I apologize for the double post, I posted the question in the one spot and then noticed the other and thought it belonged there. I'll make sure to look thrugh all the areas next time to find the most appropriate place to post. You can hear the fuel pump come on when you first turn the key, also I checked the fuel pump relay and its good too. Someone suggested that it could be a timing issue, I'm going to have to look into that. I'm not sure if thats something I can do by myself.
Thanks,
John

Back