• Register Today It's free!

starting problems?

catdaddy614

Reaction score
City, State
columbus, ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Sometimes when I start my X it wont start on the first try. Other times it takes more than 3 times for it to start. Usually it will start if I keep trying over and over. Battery connection is tight, starter solenoid has been replaced 5 months ago, theres a little battery corrosion but I cleaned that up. Still the problem occurs. I was thinking the starter itself? I got under there and it looks pretty original.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now I figured out that is I put the key to the ON position and put the truck in Neutral it will start eveytime.

It will start in park eventually after 5-8 times, but when I put it in Neutral it starts up with no problem. Where is the range sensor located?

Ok thanks for the info. How would I be able to tell if thats the problem? I mean if it looks stretched could i get that part from the auto parts store to get it replaced.

Try to adjust the cable. If there is too much slack, and it's past the point where you could adjust it correctly, then it's time for a new cable. It's possible to adjust a stretched cable up to a certain amount. Think of the cables on a bicycle. They get stretched, and sometimes need to be adjusted, but they don't always need to be replaced.

Ok, I checked the cable and it is not stretched looks good. Now it still doesnt want to start when in Neutral. It still takes at least 8 times to start it before it turnover. Where should I start before i start pulling things off?

Ok, i'll inspect it closely. Maybe just replace it if it is a cheap enough part. Where would I be able to get this at? autozone, advance or do I have to go to a ford dealer to buy this?

I dont know why it does this, but when I try to start the truck over and over for a while it locks the doors and unlocks the doors.

I dont know why it does this, but when I try to start the truck over and over for a while it locks the doors and unlocks the doors.

Man sounds like u got a wiren problem??? do u have a after market radio or still stock radio in it? cause previous owner hooked up a after market radio and i had crazy problems like that turns out he had two wires crossed.

Yea, I have an aftermarket radio, but... I had it for months and had no problem with it, and I also used a adapter so that cant be the problem.

Ther door locks could be just your keyless entry module resetting. I know on the older keyless entry systems, you had to cycle the ignition 6 times to program anew key fob and I think it used the door locks as an indicator to let you know it was looking for the new key fob signal.
Posted via Mobile Device

How can I tell if I have a bad ignition switch?

ok, im almost sure this is fuel or ignition related, im going to take it to the shop and see what they can do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so they traced it down to crankshaft position sensor? where are those located?

Back